Camden Beach in London at August Bank Holiday
Natural History Museum in London with FREE entry
Newlyn Fish Festival in Cornwall
Brecon Beacons Summer Fayre in Wales
Knebworth Classic Car Show in Lincolnshire
The Burrell Collection in Glasgow
Everest Tinto 2014 sponsored hill walk in Scotland
Edinburgh Festival at August Bank Holiday
august bank holiday weekend 2014 - a few ideas for short breaks
- The August Bank Holiday weekend offers the perfect opportunity for you to get away with your family for a short break in the uk and enjoy some of the various activities on offer. Here at Recommended Family Holidays we have come up with a few fun ideas for you with more information below:
- Camden Beach in London - yes, I did say a "beach" in the capital!
- Newlyn Fish Festival in Cornwall all in aid of the Fishermen's Mission
- Brecon Beacons Summer Fayre in Wales - have a go at welly wanging!
- Knebworth Classic Car Show with an adventure playground , Dinosaur Trail & minature railyway for the kids.
- Burrell Backpacks at the Burrell Collection in Glasgow, Scotland
- If you want to support a good cause, Everest Tinto 2014 is a sponsored hill walk - also in Scotland.
- Edinburgh Festival for family shows such as "Decomposed! My brother's turning into a zombie"
- If you want to visit the Capital but you're looking for something a little out of the ordinary, you can participate in all the delights of the sea with Camden Beach. 150 tonnes of sand creates 900 square metres of traditional British seaside, complete with deck chairs, ice cream van and a fully licensed bar. Alternatively, the Natural History Museum in London, which is always well worth checking out, is featuring a specially constructed tropical butterfly house, allowing you to get close to these delightful and fascinating creatures. And, of course, don't forget entry is FREE.
- For those of you who want to get as far away from big cities as possible, why not go down to the village of Newlyn, just south of Penzance in Cornwall? Host to some of the UK's finest seafood, the annual Newlyn Fish Festival is on 31 August and not only can you sample delicious seafood, there are cooking workshops for all the family as well as bouncy castles, gig racing, helicopter displays and more. What's more, all money raised goes to the Fishermen's Mission.
- Head on up to Wales and you can visit the Brecon Beacons Summer Fayre. Held over the three days of the bank holiday weekend, 70 stands offer local food, arts and crafts. There's plenty to entertain the children with Punch and Judy shows as well as face painting, badge making and pottery. You can even try your hand at welly wanging! Entry is FREE with a small charge of £2 for parking.
- If your family loves cars, you'll be at home at the Knebworth Classic Motor Show in Hertfordshire on 30-31 August. With over 2,000 vehicles on display, you'll be dazzled by the variety on offer. Access to Knebworth's large adventure playground and formal gardens comes at no extra charge and small children will love running around the Dinosaur Trail or riding on the miniature railway.
- North of the Border, there's plenty to see and do in Scotland as well. Glasgow's Burrell Collection offers self-led activities and Burrell Backpacks. Create a masterpiece out of materials or star as a prima ballerina!
- If you want to support a good cause, Everest Tinto 2014 is a sponsored hill walk where participants raise money for a charity of their choice as well as local charities Wiston Lodge and Moffat Mountain Rescue Team on a 'half and half' basis and conquer Everest without leaving Scotland! Run over 2 days, the event includes free camping and a meal on the Saturday evening with a ceilidh. All participants receive a goody bag and a certificate and all you have to do is climb Tinto Hill just over 7½ times to accumulate a total equivalent of climbing Mount Everest. Working with your family, it's an unusual way to raise funds and have fun while you're doing it.
- Of course, who could forget the Edinburgh Festival? With plenty of shows aimed at children, such as Decomposed! My brother's turning into a zombie and Comedy Club for Kids, there's so much on offer for families, you'll wish you had time to go to everything.
- Whatever you choose to do over the Bank Holiday weekend, it's always great to spend it with your family and whatever your family loves doing, you're bound to come away with plenty of happy memories to talk about when school is back again.
- If you are looking for accommodation near any Bank Holiday weekend event, then I should be able to help you. I work directly with both owners and also with a number of different, reputable holiday companies to give you the best possible choice of where to stay. So, click here to contact me if you would like me to help - oh, and yes, it is a FREE service!!
- Alternatively, if you would like to discuss your requirements over the telephone, might I suggest you give my partner a call on 01244 352 241 – they are open from 9am to 9.30pm every day & are always happy to just offer advice or take bookings if they can find somewhere you like. Failing that, here are some of my other contacts for short breaks in the UK - click on the names for more information:
- Article By Sophie Childs and Lucilla Paull.
- Please click contact me if you would like to leave some comments on my article and I will add them here
short breaks in the uk on bank holiday weekend this august
|Hoseasons Holidays all over the UK - holiday cottages, boating holidays, holiday lodges & parks all over the UK. The beauty of Hoseasons is that they offer short breaks all year round, unlike most of their competitors. Click the red title heading for short breaks in the Summer holidays including August Bank Holiday from £299 - 97% of holidaymakers would book again with Hoseasons.|
|Sykes Cottages have over 4,000 cottages across the UK and Ireland all of which have been individually inspected. Winners of the British Travel Awards - Best Large UK Cottage/Self Catering Booking Company in 2013. Click the red title heading for cottages from £255/wk this summer with up to 25% off thousands of cottages - but HURRY AS OFFER ENDS SOON! Or telephone 01244 352241 if you need some help - lines open until 9.30pm every single day!|
|Bluestone Wales, Pembrokeshire - luxury holiday village with both lodge & cottage accommodation to sleep 2-14 peopel each plus numerous onsite acitivites. The huge leisure pool is a great hit with the kids, as is the indoor adventure centre & high ropes course. Its also near the beach. Ideal all year round holiday destination for short family breaks or longer holidays. In my opinion its a bit like a more luxurious, cheaper version of Center Parcs. Click the red title heading for the latest prices & availability.|
|Crieff Hydro Hotel, Perthshire, Scotland - hotel with family rooms & self catering. 60 activities onsite including pool, horse riding & tennis. What's more they offer FREE daily childcare, FREE leisure pool, gym, cinema & much, much more. Click the red title heading for the best rate guarantee - you won't find it cheaper anywhere else.|
|Celtic Manor Resort, Newport, South Wales - luxury hotel, championship golf courses, indoor swimming pool. Click the red title heading for last minute getaways from £82/night for Dinner Bed & Breakfast or Summer getaways from £89/night.|
|Cotswolds Holiday Cottages - 1-6 bedroom holiday cottages located all over the Cotswolds area from this family run holiday company. Accommodation includes options within the famous & popular Cotswolds Water Park. Click the red title heading for latest special offers including up to 10% in August.|
|Macdonald Hotels operates 48 well-located hotels (all 4 and 5 star establishments) throughout the UK & won the AA hotel group of the year 2013-14. Click the red title heading to save up to 35% off Summer breaks and a best rate guarantee - you won't find it cheaper anywhere else.|
|Park Holidays, all over southern & eastern England: luxury static caravans, indoor & outdoor swimming pools, kids clubs, beach locations. Click the red title heading for 2014 bookings - 4 nights from £69!!|
|Haven Holiday Parks, all over the UK - family friendly seaside holiday parks. Caravans, mobile homes, apartments, glamping. Click the red title heading for last minute getaways from £199, School Summer breaks from £249 or £599/week.|