beach holidays in south west england for families
- Winter is well and truly upon us and the blustery winds and freezing temperatures mean that it's the perfect time to start planning your summer holidays to give you something to look forward to. The south west of England is home to a veritable feast of beaches, making it the ideal destination for families wanting to get away from it all.
- Devon offers the perfect combination of picturesque countryside and miles of countryside, bringing together ancient ruins and modern shopping centres to offer something for everyone. What's more, Devon is fantastic if you're looking for value for money, with a wide range of free activities, including the Royal Albert Memorial Museum, the Agatha Christie Literary Trail, not to mention the South West Coast path, where you may be lucky enough to find your very own ancient fossils!
- Devon is a top location for surfers and if your family enjoys riding the waves, there are plenty of easier peaks on the south coast, most notably Woolacoombe Beach in North Devon. If you have more experienced surfers in your party, you'll want to visit Croyde, which also boasts beautiful rock pools for non-surfers to explore.
- There are countless Blue Flag beaches around Devon suitable for even the youngest of families. Your children will love crabbing or building sandcastles at Dittisham and if you don't want to take your children paddling in the sea, Shoalstone Open Air Pool is a fantastic alternative.
- Further south west is Cornwall, which is home to some of the top beaches, not just in the UK, but the world. With 80% of the county surrounded by sea, it has 476 kilometres of coastline, the longest in the UK, so you really are spoilt for choice. As there is excellent water quality and coastguards on duty most of the time, if you love the seaside, you'll want to head down to Cornwall.
- With so many beaches to choose from, it can be hard to know where to start. Porthcothan Bay Beach in Padstow was recommended in the Good Beach Guide 2014 and is dog friendly all year round, meaning the whole family can enjoy its sandy, sheltered dunes. Down in St Ives, Porthminster Beach has stunning views of Godrevy Lighthouse, which inspired Virginia Woolf's 'To the Lighthouse'. The mild climate allows for palm trees to grow and, combined with the clear water, you could almost believe you were in some distant tropical paradise.
- Three miles from Newquay is Watergate Bay Beach. Stretching over two miles, it attracts surfers and families and there are various events and competitions hosted on the strand all year round, including the annual Polo on the Beach. With plenty of shops and restaurants within easy walking distance, it's a great place to spend your days.
- Somerset is a top tourist destination, with gems such as Glastonbury and Cheddar Gorge waiting to be discovered. However, you may not realise that it's also great for beach lovers. Clevedon is a quaint Victorian seaside town with a Grade 1 listed pier where you can enjoy cream teas. During the summer months, you can take a trip on the Waverley paddle steamer or the Balmoral pleasure cruiser and meander down the coast and even over to Wales. Salthouse Fields offers children's entertainment and summer concerts and the coastal walks have proven to be a rich source of inspiration for many writers over the years, including Coleridge and Tennyson.
- Minehead is located at the edge of the National Park and marks the point where Exmoor meets the sea. It offers everything you could want from a traditional British seaside resort, with a promenade and both sandy and pebble beaches as well as great views of Wales across the Bristol Channel.
- If you enjoy rambling, follow the South West Coast Path. Starting in Minehead, it follows the coastline all the way down to Poole in Dorset, offering you exceptional views and the opportunity to learn more about our native flora and fauna.
- Once down in Dorset, you'll find plenty more coastal towns and villages, such as Weymouth. The Georgian town offers great family activities, including donkey rides and that perennial favourite, Punch and Judy. Alternatively, Swanage is renowned for its family friendly attitude and if your children enjoy building sandcastles, they can't do better than Swanage's sandy shores. If you're looking for something a little different, Durlston County Park is right next to the town and hosts a large National Nature Reserve with plenty for children to see and do, including fantastic bird and dolphin watching sites.
- There's so much to see and do in the South West of England that you really can get lost amongst the hundreds of miles of beach. Wherever you choose to go, there's no doubt that you'll create some beautiful family memories you'll all look back on with fondness for years to come.
- If you are looking for holiday accommodation near the beach in south west England during 2015, then I should be able to help you. I work directly with both owners and also with a number of different, reputable holiday companies to give you the best possible choice of where to stay. So, click here to contact me if you would like me to help - oh, and yes, it is a FREE service!!
- Alternatively, if you would like to discuss your requirements over the telephone, might I suggest you give one of my partners a call?
- For the UK & Ireland: 01244 352 241 – they are open from 9am to 9.30pm every day. Sykes Cottages are always happy to just offer advice or take bookings if they can find somewhere you like.
- Article By Sophie Childs and Lucilla Paull.
- Please click contact me if you would like to leave some comments on my article and I will add them here
Beach holidays in Devon for families
Beach holidays in Cornwall for families
Beach holidays in Somerset for families
Beach holidays in Dorset for families
great deals on booking your beach holiday in south west england now
Failing that, here are some of my other contacts for family holidays in south west England for 2015 - click on the names for more information:
|Sykes Cottages have over 4,000 cottages which have been individually inspected. Winners of the British Travel Awards - Best Large UK Cottage/Self Catering Booking Company in 2013 & 2014. Click the red title heading for cottages from £129/wk this winter & 2015 holidays from £124. Or telephone 01244 352241 if you need some help - lines open until 9.30pm every day!|
|Hoseasons Holidays - holiday cottages, lodges, holiday parks or boating holidays all over the UK with plenty on offer in south west England. Click the red title heading for up to £200 off school summer holidays, 2015 Easter breaks from just £215 all with a low deposit of just £25 on 2015 holidays. Not to mention last minute breaks from £169. Please book online via this link if possible|
|Hoburne Holiday Parks, 4*&5* rated in south & south west England: luxury static caravans, indoor & outdoor swimming pools, kids clubs, beach locations. Seven top quality holiday parks in Dorset, Devon, Cornwall and Somerset. Click the red title heading for latest offers including 10% off 2015 holidays (ends 15th Feb). Please book online via this link if possible - thank you.|
|John Fowler Holiday Parks, south west England - family friendly coastal holiday parks throughout Cornwall, Devon & Somerset. Accommodation to suit all budgets including luxury modern lodges in the woods to low cost caravans, chalets & apartments. Facilities include Foxy kids club, swimming pools, water flumes... all included in the price. Click the red title for latest deals. Quote AFF13 for 10% off when booking online + £50 off all weekly holidays & £25 off all short breaks if you book by 31 Jan..|
|Haven Holiday Parks - 35 award winning family holiday parks close to some of Britain's favourite seaside resorts. Self catering accomodation available for a variety of budgets - caravans, mobile homes, apartments, glamping. Swimming pools, kids clubs, evening entertainment and more. Click the red title for latest deals including book before 31 Jan for up to 50% off spring, early summer & autumn holidays and up to 25% on all other dates. Plus best price guarantee. Please book online via this link if possible - thank you.|
|Toad Hall Cottages is one of the leading providers of holiday homes in the South West, with over 500 properties spread throughout Devon, Cornwall, Dorset and Somerset. Family run and 2013 British Travel Award winners - Best Small UK Cottage Agency! Click the red title heading for details of all the latest offers including last minute availability and summer 2015 holidays.|
|Coast & Country Holiday Cottages, South Devon - over 425 self-catering properties exclusively in South Devon & winner of Best Small UK Holiday Cottage Booking Agency in 2014. Click the red title heading for large discounts including up to £150 off Summer holidays, 10& off February half term and 20% off Spring breaks. Please book online via this link if possible - thank you.|