White Cross Bay Holiday Park, Lake Windermere - 2/3 beds, indoor pool, 5*
Solway Holiday Village, Cumbrian Coast - 1-3 beds, indoor pool, kids club, hot tubs
Meadows End Lodges, Cartmel, Lake District - 1 & 2 beds, private hot tubs
Brockwood Hall Lodges, Millom - 2 or 3 beds, indoor pool, private saunas
South Lakeland Village, Carnforth - 2 & 3 beds, indoor pool
Thanet Well Lodges, nr Ullswater - 2-3 beds, private hot tubs
Hillcroft Holiday Lodges, Ullswater - 2 beds in stunning location
family holidays in the lake district, cumbria, north west england
- The Lake District is one of the most picturesque parts of the UK and it's no wonder that it's a perennial favourite with families of all ages. There are always plenty of free or very affordable activities on offer, giving you plenty of things to do, no matter whether you're travelling with toddlers or teenagers.
- Why not start with a day at the Lake District Visitor Centre in Brockhole? Host to many events and family fun sessions throughout the year, many of which are free, you can swing through the trees at the treetop trek and treetop nets or go wild in the adventure playground. There's an undercover traversing wall and plenty of gardens to run around in and if the weather turns, there's also an indoor soft play area, as well as plenty of colouring-in activities to enjoy. With a café and shop on site, it has everything you need.
- Book lovers will find plenty to delight in the Lake District, inspiration to many famous authors. Beatrix Potter's Squirrel Nutkin set sail on Derwentwater while Hawkshead is home to Johnny Townmouse. Postman Pat's Greendale is waiting for you to explore, while you can meet Thomas the Tank Engine at Ravenglass Railway.
- If you love Swallows and Amazons, there's a wealth of opportunities. You can hike up Kanchenjunga, visit Wild Cat Island, aka Peel Island, with a cruise from Coniston Boating Centre or lose yourself in the Islands of Windermere.
- Of course, one of the main attractions of the Lake District is the opportunity to explore all the beautiful countryside and there are over 40 child and buggy friendly 'Miles without Stiles' routes for you to enjoy, whatever your family's level of fitness. Highlights include the waterfalls and woods of the Elterwater to Skelwith Bridge route with refreshments available at either end or Friar's Crag, Keswick, which takes you around Derwentwater, giving you incredible views of the mountains, lakes and woods.
- Don't worry if the weather means you can't get outside. There's still plenty to see and do. There's the Coast Aquarium in Maryport with over 55 themed tanks, as well as crazy golf and remote controlled boats. Muncaster Castle offers you the chance to get close to some amazing birds at the World Owl Centre, make your way around the MeadowVole Maze and you might even see a ghost or two in the historic castle!
- Meanwhile, Keswick Dinosaur Experience is wonderfully child friendly with colouring, jigsaws, quizzes and the chance to unearth bones from a sand tray as you wend round the exhibits. Or if you still want some fresh air in the rain, you can hire boats from Coniston Boating Centre with covered cabins.
- Whatever your family enjoys doing, the Lake District offers you the chance to relax together in some of the most tranquil scenery you'll find in the whole of the UK. No matter what the weather, you'll still find plenty to keep everyone amused and with plenty of family friendly eateries around, everyone can take a break and just savour everything this part of the country has to offer.
- If you are looking for accommodation in the Lake District, then I should be able to help you. I work directly with both owners and also with a number of different, reputable holiday companies to give you the best possible choice of where to stay. So, click here to contact me if you would like me to help - oh, and yes, it is a FREE service!!
- Alternatively, if you would like to discuss your requirements over the telephone, might I suggest you give my partner a call on 01244 352 241 – they are open from 9am to 9.30pm every day & are always happy to just offer advice or take bookings if they can find somewhere you like. Failing that, here are some of my other contacts for short breaks in the UK - click on the names for more information:
- Article By Sophie Childs and Lucilla Paull.
- Please click contact me if you would like to leave some comments on my article and I will add them here
family friendly accommodation in the lake district, cumbria
|Sykes Cottages have over 4,000 cottages across the UK and Ireland all of which have been individually inspected. Winners of the British Travel Awards - Best Large UK Cottage/Self Catering Booking Company in 2013. Click the red title heading for cottages from £176/wk this autumn & up to 20% off hundreds of cottages - TAKE ADVANTAGE OF GREAT VALUE SEPTEMBER HOLIDAYS! Or telephone 01244 352241 if you need some help - lines open until 9.30pm every day!|
|Hoseasons Holidays all over the UK - holiday cottages, lodges, parks or boating holidays all over the UK. Click the red title heading for more information.|
|Cumbrian Cottages - specialises in holiday cottages, houses, lodges & apartments in all the very best and most sought after locations within the Lake District National Park and throughout Cumbria. There are over 900 accommodation options available in the area - each and every one of which is VisitEngland inspected and has achieved at least a 3 star grading within their quality assurance scheme. Offers 15% discount on all last minute holiday bookings made within 3 weeks of travel.|
|White Cross Bay Holiday Park, Troutbeck Bridge, Lake Windermere, Lake District - perfectly situated in the heart of the Lake District, this 5* rated park enjoys 60 acres of delightful wooded parkland running down to the shores of Lake Windermere and holds the David Bellamy Gold Award for Conservation. Onsite is an indoor heated swimming pool, gym, bar & restaurant with take away menu, playground & shop. 2-3 bed luxury holiday lodges ideal for the whole family on holiday.|
|Solway Holiday Village, near Carlisle, Cumbrian Coast, NW England - 1-3 bed lodge, chalet & caravan accommodation some with private hot tubs. Facilities: indoor heated pool, kids club, tennis, shared hot tub, evening entertainment, bistro with takeaway, indoor & outdoor play, animal farm & shop. Ideally located for exploring the northern Lakes, Hadrian's Wall & the Cumbrian coastline.|
|Brockwood Hall Lodges, Millom, Cumbria - 2-3 bedroom family friendly holiday lodges set in the grounds of Brockwood Hall with stunning views & a perfect base for exploring the Lakes & the Irish Sea coast. Onsite there is an indoor heated swimming pool & food is available if you don't fancy catering for yourself. Some lodges have a private sauna.|
|South Lakeland Village, Carnforth, Cumbria - 2 & 3 bedroom luxury lakeside holiday lodges on this award winning holiday park. Superb state of the art leisure facilities onsite including a health and fitness club, large indoor leisure pool, fully equipped gym, beauty treatments & Waters Edge restaurant. Ideally situated for exploring the Lake District and ever popular Windermere is just 25 minutes' drive and the famous Yorkshire Dales National Park is also within easy reach|
|Meadows End Lodges, Cartmel, Lake District - 1 & 2 beds, private hot tubs|
|Thanet Well Lodges, nr Ullswater - 2-3 beds, private hot tubs|
|Hillcroft Holiday Lodges, Ullswater - 2 beds in stunning location|