short breaks at new year in the uk - last minute ideas
- New Year is one of the most exciting celebrations there is. With Christmas out of the way, there's still plenty of fun to be had, cheering us all up when it's cold and miserable outside. If you've gone away for the festive season, why not check out some of these family friendly activities?
- The Kielder Observatory in Kielder, Northumberland is offering a truly unique way to see in the New Year. The volunteers at the observatory are putting on an evening of astronomy related discussions, visual displays and 3D experiences of space and time to give your children a night they'll never forget.
- When it gets dark, your family will be taken on a guided tour of the Observatory to learn all about how to use the incredible telescopes to discover first hand some of the wonders of the universe, looking at planets as well as far away nebulae and even other galaxies.
- On the stroke of midnight, everyone can enjoy a drink overlooking the night time splendour of the Kielder Water Forest Park and you're welcome to stay and watch the stars all the way through until sunrise. With a log burning fire for warmth as well as an outdoor fire pit, dinner includes local Northumberland sausages, burgers, kebabs and vegetarian options and, of course, marshmallows to toast. As if that wasn't enough, there are astronomically themed sweets such as Mars Bars and Milky Ways and delicious homemade cakes. As if that wasn't enough, there's even live music and dancing on the deck! You could always stay nearby at the lovely yet peaceful Kielder Water Holiday Lodges with indoor swimming pool that could offer you a minimum 3 night short break option all year round.
- Over in Wales, you can choose from a wide range of options in Cardiff alone. Why not check out the Calennig Midnight celebrations at Cardiff's traditional Winter Wonderland? With a Midnight Skate at just £9, you can see in the New Year on ice or be up in the air on the Star Ride. With the civic centre devoted to partying, you're in the perfect place to enjoy the fireworks at the stroke of 12. Why not go all out and grab a night at the a nearby hotel? No doubt many will already be fully booked, but you could try: Hilton Hotels, MacDonald Hotels or the Celtic Manor Resort Hotel for real luxury
- Over at the Vale Resort near Cardiff, you can book a four course meal in their relaxed La Cucina restaurant. Children are welcome while the welcoming staff bring through your food, so you don't have to worry about the washing up and then there's music until the small hours from their resident DJ. Or you could go to the Angel Hotel, where they're throwing a special family-friendly party. Children under the age of 4 are free and you'll be treated to a three course carvery dinner with buffet for the children, with entertainment from a magician and music at the disco.
- Nobody knows how to party at New Year's Eve like the Scots and there's a wide range of Hogmanay activities across the country, including open air concerts, street parties and fireworks displays. If you want to experience one of Scotland's ancient fire festivals, the most impressive include Comrie's Flambeaux Procession, the Biggar Bonfire and, of course, the Stonehaven Fireball Ceremony.
- Edinburgh is widely regarded as hosting one of the biggest and best New Year's Eves, kicking off the festivities on 30 December with a stunning Torchlight Procession. Thousands of torch bearers create a river of fire running from the Royal Mile all the way over to Calton Hill. Then on 31 December, approximately 80,000 people gather in Princes Street for the Concert at the Gardens, topped off with fireworks on Edinburgh Castle's ramparts. The brave among you can dress up in costume for the Loony Dook, splashing into the River Forth at South Queensferry to welcome in January 1st.
- Finding accommodation in Edinburgh at this late stage would, quite frankly, be a nightmare - I should know as I used to live there & the numbers who descend on the city for Hogmanay are eye-watering. But check out MacDonald Hotels who have a number of lovely family friendly hotels in the area. Failing that you could always try the super-family-friendly resort of Crieff Hydro in Perthshire with over 60 onsite activities for the whole family & FREE childcare. Finally, if all else fails why not try one of our Scottish Holiday Partners such as Hoseasons, Sykes Cottages or as a last resort Cottages.com.
- If you have younger children and you don't want to stay up too late, London offers a very pleasant way to end the year. There's a massive selection of children's theatre offering afternoon matinees, or there's Hyde Park Winter Wonderland. It's free to get in, so you can soak up the atmosphere and explore what's on offer, although tickets are required for some of the attractions. Once the kids are in bed, you can put your feet up and enjoy the live fireworks on the TV or, if you've booked a room with a view, simply open the curtains!
- Whatever you choose to do to welcome in 2015, Recommended Family Holiday's wishes you and your family a very Happy New Year.
- If you are looking for last minute short break holiday accommodation this New Year, then I should be able to help you. I work directly with both owners and also with a number of different, reputable holiday companies to give you the best possible choice of where to stay. So, click here to contact me if you would like me to help - oh, and yes, it is a FREE service!!
- Alternatively, if you would like to discuss your requirements over the telephone, might I suggest you give my partner a call on 01244 352 241 – they are open from 9am to 9.30pm every day & are always happy to just offer advice or take bookings if they can find somewhere you like. Failing that, here are some of my other contacts for short breaks in the UK at New Year - click on the names for more information:
- Article By Sophie Childs and Lucilla Paull.
- Please click contact me if you would like to leave some comments on my article and I will add them here
New Year Break in Northumberland
Short Break in Wales this New Year?
Hogmanay in Scotland - they know how to party at New Year
A short break at New Year in London
ideas for short breaks at new year with your family
|Sykes Cottages have over 4,000 cottages across the UK and Ireland all of which have been individually inspected. Winners of the British Travel Awards - Best Large UK Cottage/Self Catering Booking Company in 2013 & 2014. Click the red title heading for cottages from £173/wk this winter & Christmas from £177/wk. Or telephone 01244 352241 if you need some help - lines open until 9.30pm every day!|
|Hoseasons Holidays all over the UK - holiday cottages, lodges, holiday parks or boating holidays all over the UK. Click the red title heading for up to £200 off summer holidays, 2015 Easter breaks from just £215 all with a low deposit of just £25 on 2015 holidays. Not to mention last minute breaks from £199 and availability on Christmas or New Year holidays. Please book online via this link if possible|
|Looe Island View, Cornwall, south west England - a simply stunning 4 bedroom luxury holiday home with fantastic, uninterrupted sea views. The accommodation sleeps up to 10 people and the beach is just 300m away. So if you want a special holiday in Cornwall this would certainly be top of my list! 4 nights over New Year £1999 or 7 nights £2,500 including luxurious welcome hamper, toiletries from Gilchrist & Soames, Christmas tree and decorations.|
|Bluestone Wales, Pembrokeshire - luxury holiday village with both lodge & cottage accommodation to sleep 2-14 people each plus numerous onsite acitivites. The huge leisure pool is a great hit with the kids, as is the indoor adventure centre & high ropes course. Its also near the beach. Ideal all year round holiday destination for short family breaks or longer holidays. In my opinion its a bit like a more luxurious, cheaper version of Center Parcs. Click the red title heading for the latest prices & availability. Click the red title heading for the latest prices & availability including Kingdom of the Elves from £179, Festive breaks from £199|
|Celtic Manor Resort Hotel, Newport, South Wales - 3 luxury hotels & 6 restaurants on this world class golf course, set amongst 2,000 acres of stunning parkland in the beautiful Usk Valley. 3 Championship golf courses, treetop ropes adventure course, spa & indoor pool, adventure playground, indoor soft play, games room, tennis. Early dinner, childcare & pyjama parties arranged for kids. Full disabled facilities including family bedrooms.|
|Asheston Eco Barns, Pembrokeshire, SW Wales - 5 traditional Welsh barns converted into luxury eco-friendly holiday cottages, each with 3 bedrooms. Superb loaction, just 3 miles from Newgale "blue flag" beach, within 22 acres of countryside to explore. A safe, secluded environment for the children to play plus a dedicated children's play area. Due to a cancellation we have The Stables available for New Year from 29/12 onwards. Minimum of a 3 night booking at £614 for 3 nights to sleep up to 7 people (max 5 adults and 2 kids).|
|Crieff Hydro Hotel, Perthshire, Scotland - hotel with family rooms & self catering. 60 activities onsite including pool, horse riding & tennis. What's more they offer FREE daily childcare, FREE leisure pool, gym, cinema & much, much more. Click the red title heading for the best rate guarantee - you won't find it cheaper anywhere else, not to mention the latest special offers. Please book online via this link|
|Macdonald Hotels operates 48 well-located hotels (all 4 and 5 star establishments) throughout the UK & won the AA hotel group of the year 2013-14. Click the red title heading for the latest deals & online booking including 2 for 1 on rooms in January, £10 spending money and a best rate guarantee - you won't find it cheaper anywhere else. Please book online via this link if possible - thank you|
|Haven Holiday Parks, all over the UK - 35 award winning family holiday parks throughout England, Scotland and Wales - close to some of Britain's favourite seaside resorts. Self catering accomodation available for a variety of budgets - caravans, mobile homes, apartments, glamping. Swimming pools, kids clubs, evening entertainment and more. Click the red title for latest deals.|