Dukes Farm Holiday Cottages, Brecon Beacons, Herefordshire
Stunning views from these luxury cottages in the Brecon Beacons
Granary Cottage sleeps 5 in 2 bedrooms
Everything you need for your self catering holiday in the Granary
Large family bedroom in Granary Cottage
Swallow Barn sleeps 8 in 4 bedrooms, disabled friendly
Enjoy a meal together in Swallow Barn, ideal for large group holidays
One of the 4 luxury bedrooms in Swallow Barn
Goose Cotts sleeps 2 in 1 bedroom plus a sofa bed
Luxury self catering kitchen in Goose Cotts
Gorgeous canopy bed for your romantic stay in Goose Cotts
Outside we have a sunken trampoline for safety
Indoor games rooms, ideal for kids whatever the weather
Plenty of walks around our farm & pets are welcome
All our cottages have woodburners, ideal all year round
Stunning views from our luxury self catering cottages
duke's farm cottages, crawell, brecon beacons, herefordshire
- STOP PRESS: winner of 2014 Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence.
- Dukes Farm's three cottages offer luxury accommodation for short breaks, family holidays and memorable reunions all year round in Herefordshire yet one mile from the Wales border. Flexible, affordable, and less than three hours from London. The Farm, with its 130 acres of pasture and woodland, dingles and hedgerows, literally smiles across at the Black Hill. Our stretch of the River Monnow, Bronze Age burial chamber and other treasures are mapped for you to explore. The Brecon Beacons stretch east into our part of Herefordshire, mountainous and dramatic. Fiercely contested with the Welsh over centuries, the land is riddled with historic castles and sturdy farmsteads, and the culture is rich.
- Herefordshire is England's most rural county; they say every crop is grown here. It has been at the forefront of the food revival with among the best Food Festivals, farmers' markets and farm shops in Britain. Local ciders recommended! This locality has many footpaths, characterful free-house pubs and ruins. It has a rugged, unspoilt quality. Across the valley and visible from your windows is the Cat's Back, a most spectacular ridge walk, while Hay-on-Wye, with its book shops, literary festival and lively shopping scene is our local town, and sits on the best stretch of canoeing river in Britain.
- The barns are equipped to a high specification; they are well-stocked, stylishly furnished and spanking clean. They all have large flatscreen TVs, DVD players, iPod docks and CD players. Items for loan are available: cots, high chairs, a put-u-up for odd-night extras, or pet blankets. For anything else: just ask, and we always see what we can do! The Games Room is heated and has a pool table, table tennis, table football, chalk wall and dartboard (bring your own darts). The Gardens have a sunken trampoline and various seats and nooks. We also offer a catering service, please ask for details.
- The Swallow Barn: sleeps 8, 4 beds, disabled friendly and has been a huge success as a venue for weekend parties, family holidays and large group accommodation. The underfloor heating, radiators and large wood stove ensure complete cosiness to watch the massive 42 inch screen TV. It has excellent kitchen facilities for entertaining. The spectacular uninterrupted views of the Black Hill never fail to thrill, while the vaulted ceiling and quality furnishings bathed in south-facing light provide a glorious space in which to celebrate. The terrace and water garden catch the sun and lead out to the trampoline, gardens and fields. There is a ground floor bedroom and wet room for our disabled guests if required.
- The Granary: is an ‘upside-down house' sleeping 5 in 2 bedrooms with underfloor heating, radiators and a wood stove. The ground floor bedrooms have original ancient oak studding, while the light living space above is overarched by huge beams. The whole is imaginatively endowed with natural textures and comfortable furnishings. Outside is a private terrace, barbecue and access to the trampoline and gardens.
- The Goose Cotts: is an ancient hall house sleeping 2+, with a stone roof supported by deep cruck beams reaching close to the ground. The wood stove in its massive hearth is supplemented by a generous radiator. Solid oak floors and fittings are complemented by comfortable furnishings and high quality equipment. The breakfast patio outside the door catches the morning sun, and there is a secluded woodland seating area that leads to the fields. The Goose Cotts has a special feel, possibly because it has seven streams running beneath its bedrock according to a famous local dowser!
- Click here to check availability of all Duke's Farm Holiday Cottages in Herefordshire
- Please send us a review of this by clicking: "Make a Family Holiday Recommendation".
- 13 family holiday recommendation, average rating 5 out of 5
Best rating: 5 out of 5
Worst rating 5 out of 5
- Although our independent reviews are old, it is purely because the owner has actively promoted themselves in order to win "Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence". More recent reviews are shown in the section below & visitors obviously still love staying at Dukes Farm! Message from editor (Lucilla, mum of 2 boys myself)
- If you are looking for an ideal, relaxing break at any time of the year you could not do better than Dukes Farm holiday cottages in beautiful, rural Herefordshire.Our family of six adults, a 21/2 year old toddler and a 4 month old baby have just returned from a four-day break the memory of which will remain with us for a long, long time. The cottages are owned and run by Mr & Mrs Watkins who live in the adjacent farmhouse and who also ensure that you have a trouble-free break. The area has breathtaking scenery and there are interesting walks in all directions. The beautiful town of Hay-on-Wye is only a few miles away and there are several interesting historic properties in the locality. Rating 5 out of 5, Mr Grinstead, received Sept 2012
- I booked Duke's Farm (all three properties) for a family get-together to celebrate my Dad's 60th birthday. Being a large party (my parents, five siblings plus their spouses and children, not to mention the dogs), who live all over the UK, I was delighted when I came across Ruth and Ken's website for Duke's Farm - I had found somewhere that could accommodate all of us! When I booked it I thought, "This seems perfect" and when we arrived I thought, "This IS perfect!" We were welcomed by Ruth who made us feel at home straight away. All three properties were absolutely delightful - very comfortable, homely and EXTREMELY well equipped. Despite being a large party, there was plenty of space for everyone. Beds were very comfortable and all properties were very clean. In the evenings we congregated in Swallow Barn, enjoying family meals, followed by games and a glass of wine (or two!) The weather whilst there wasn't great, but there was still plenty to keep us all entertained. Rating 5 out of 5, Zoe, Jun 2012.
- Duke's Farm is a wonderful place for a peaceful break (although there's plenty to do in the vicinity too). This was our second visit and we stayed in "the Granary" cottage again which has just about everything you need. The accommodation is well-equipped, comfortable, tastefully decorated, peaceful and easy to heat if the nights are chilly. The views are fantastic and you more or less have the freedom of the farm. Ruth and Ken are perfect hosts; if you need anything they're there, but at the same time it's easy to imagine you've got the whole place to yourself. A perfect place to unwind - we definitely recommend Duke's Farm, even though we'd really like to keep the place a secret! Rating 5 out of 5, Richard, Apr 2012.
- Dukes Farm is the perfect country cottage holiday set in the most beautiful surroundings. All the cottages come fully equipted with everything you need and more. The beds and bedding are wonderfully comfortable and make going to bed a real treat. Set in the Brecon Becons the farm has breathtaking views and on all sides and seems to get the sunshine every morning. Ruth and Ken are so welcoming and helpful and really happy to supply all thier local knowledge of walks and good pubs in the area. We are already booking the next trip to Dukes farm. Rating 5 out of 5, Victoria, Jan 2012.
- Stayed in the swallow barn and loved it ! was made to feel really welcome on our arrival and was stunned to see how nice the cottage was . it was even better than the pictures suggest ! great for a family break . the games room was fun and a suprise was hidden in the garden . a massive trampoline sunk into the floor to make you feel like your bouncing on top of a mountain !! had a great time and definiely recommend it ! Rating 5 out of 5, Declan, Oct 2011.
- Superb accomodation, we visited on recommendation from friends and we certainly didn't regret it, in fact were back for more next year. Superb barn conversions sleeping 8 or 5 or the Goose Cott where we stayed, it was like being at home,converted to the highest standard with every whim catered for. In fact it felt like home from home. The owners made us feel extremely welcome nothing was too much trouble for them. Set ,in superb rolling countryside with loads of walks nearby, lovely country pubs nearby with excellent food if you wish to eat out. If Carlsberg did holiday accomodation this would be it, roll on next year when I can get back. Rating 5 out of 5, Les & Deb, Oct 2011.
- We stayed in the Swallow Barn and the Granary, and enjoyed a weekend of luxury. These are the best kitted out cottages we have ever stayed in (we go somewhere every year), with every piece of kitchen equipment you would conceivably need, lots of crockery, glassware and cutlery and essentials. The kids loved the wekk stocked toy box, and sadly we didn't get to take full advantage of the trampoline and games room due to the lovely countryside on the doorstep. There is a beautiful patio facing the Black Hills with seating and a bbq, with very carefully though out planting and shrubs. A great place, highly recommended. Rating 5 out of 5, Siobhan, Sep 2011.
- Wonderfully comfortable and well-equipped cottage in a beautiful and peaceful setting. The hosts, Ruth and Ken made us very welcome from the start and had lots of information about the local area to help make our stay enjoyable. Rating 5 out of 5, Lynn, Sep 2011.
- I joined my sister and brother-in-law for his 70th birthday celebratory weekend. I thought all of the self-catering accommodation was top class, well-equipped, and beautifully situated for peace and quiet. My comment was "the silence was deafening"! It was perfect for a family get-together and the owners were more than interested in getting feedback so they could improve their facilities even more (if that were possible). The biggest challenge of the weekend was the youngsters trying to get a mobile phone signal - and failing! Rating 5 out of 5, Rachel, Jul 2011.
- We had 21 people to get together! 5 children under 4 and the rest ranging from 21 - 72 years old. We hired all 3 parts of the Farm and then they kindly arranged to import 2 glorious retro caravans (1950s) both done up very well (Kath Kidston) (with no water or electricity) but just the job for sleeping 3 in each, if necessary. It was a huge success, and the big barn successfully catered for 16 adults sitting down for dinner each night. The views quite glorious, the peace and quiet unbeatable, the walks total therapy, and the sunset amazing, especially up the hill at the very top of the property! The Watkins have done a brilliant job at this warm and welcoming holiday home. Let me tell you we have been to quite a few holiday homes over the years, and this was fantastic. Totally recommended. It certainly fitted all our requirements. Rating 5 out of 5, Jun 2011, Jenny.
- We highly recommend Dukes Farm. The scenery from the cottage looking over towards the very magical Black Hill was beautiful. Ruth and Ken were very welcoming and helpful. The barn is beautifully renovated, well equipped, clean, tidy with very comfortable beds. Our dog was also made very weclome. Great holiday we loved it so much will be returning soon. Rating 5 out of 5, Marian & Anthony, Jun 2011
- Idyllic setting, very quiet amongst fields and off the beaten track. Excellent property with all mod cons, perfect for a getaway,break or holiday. Dogs welcome and amazing dog walking countryside. Hosts are superb and very friendly and will accomodate if possible. I used it as a short break to gather my strength due to a hectic life and it worked a treat! Close to Hay on Wye for Thursday market which is worth a visit. Rating 5 out of 5, Tina, Jul 2010.
- Beutifully equipped and stylishly converted barn complex with quality furnishings including extremely comfortable beds and seating.Felt at home immediately on entering the front door,log burner already lit and burning merrily as a welcome.Everything thoughtfully provided and the first holiday cottage we have ever stayed in that had sharpened cooking knives!! Flexible starting and finishing dates and easy to use online booking service made the holiday hazzle free from the beginning and whatever the length of stay its the place to chill out in extreme comfort!! Rating 5 out of 5, Yvonne, Dec 2010.
- We stayed in Swallow Barn for a family celebration, and were all really impressed with the space, beautiful environment, wonderful views across the mountain valley and great kitchen for gathering and preparing a feast! The bedrooms were comfortable and the flexible space much appreciated by all of us. We also ate out in the nearby Bridge Inn, Michaelchurch Escley, which was very welcoming and served good food and the best pint of Butty Bach we found all week. Two of us stayed for longer in Goose Cotts and enjoyed the warm and peace by the wood stove, in the middle of blustery weather. Both properties are skilfully converted from barns with love and imaginative creativity. I loved the small details, good interesting pictures to look at, stone arrangements to appreciate, and the running babble of the stream. We walked to the ancient cist at the top of the farm, most interesting. Also, handy for Hay, great walking and cycling area, visited Arthur's Stones nearby - spectacular, lots to do. Ken and Ruth are brilliant hosts and we enjoyed meeting them very much. This is a special place and we would love to return. Rating 5 out of 5, Nov 2015.
- Dukes Farm was a perfect getaway for a city-family-reunion. It was well worth the journey, a beautiful easy drive, getting lost on the country roads, and far away enough from the stresses of life, and good motivation for us to get out and about. The directions to get there were fantastic for even map readers. We were greeted with a warm smile, and lots of details for our stay and activities. The hosts have a great knowledge for the area, and were very hospitable in providing directions and all others things we needed (from boots to games, and even freshly picked apples). But the hosts were already fantastic when it came to communication in preparation for the trip, with all my family's questions. They also provided us with biscuits and option of tea or coffee for our stay, which is nice be welcomed to. The kids excitedly ran around the house, chose their room and felt right at home, unpacked, and showed the rest of us around. We loved the atmosphere of the beautifully furnished barn, and especially the log fireplace. When we were all together, the living area fit us all comfortably, while the mothers were cooking in the fully well-supplied kitchen (which could have done with a knife sharpener and a pair of scissors). And the dining area sat us all, with 2 little ones in provided high chairs. With the big screen tv on in the background, wifi, games being played on the floor, kids and big kids running in and out to the games room, there was ample for all of us! We were sad to not have used the Goose cottage much, apart from those that slept there, but it certainly was cosy for those in the family that needed a break from the kids, or even to watch something else. And the views of the valley from the adjoining terrace was spectacular to wake up to each morning. A bit chilly in the morning and evening, but we had great weather for and Oct-Nov weekend. The kids enjoyed the trampoline, and the Wendy house. We really enjoyed walking their farmland. And we all felt safe and well-rested. Thank you! Rating 5 out of 5, Oct 2015.
- What a Find! We found the ideal place to enjoy our anniversary when we booked Goose Cottage at Dukes Farm, We were welcomed by Ruth and Ken with warmth and an obvious love of the beautiful area surrounding the farm. We were given lots of great ideas for walks, including the Cats Back and Offa's Dyke which you can see from anywhere on the farm, and also ideas for places to eat. The cottage itself is a gem. with a log burner to keep your warm and cosy, ( already lit by Ruth before we arrived) a plentiful supply of logs supplied. Everything you might need is supplied and the finish and attention to detail is first rate. and the heated floor in the shower room is bliss to the feet. We will be back to continue our exploration of this beautiful area and next time we will take the dog. Brian & Sara, Rating 5 out of 5, Oct 2015.
- What a wonderful way to explore hidden landscapes and experience this utterly inspiring location. Ruth and Ken could not have been kinder, more welcoming or accommodating, making us feel at home before we even arrived. Their guide to Crasswall is a 'must read' and touchingly personal, the Goose Cotts a rare haven and perfect launch pad for walks, or just sitting in the sun. Duke's Farm is nestled down a lane with spectacular views, benefitting from excellent local pubs and a truly rural environment. Daniel, Rating 5 out of 5, Oct 2015.
- Brought the whole family here for joint birthday celebration and everyone had the most brilliant time. We were blessed with glorious weather to explore the local area on foot, the dogs loved the walks, everybody loved the games room and the main barn was perfect for gathering feeding the whole team. Huge thankyou to Ruth and Ken for such a warm welcome, hope to be back really soon. Tom, Rating 5 out of 5, Sep 2015.
- Set in beautiful, unspoilt countryside, Goose Cotts is comfortable and very well equipped.The wood burner makes it very cosy too. We particularly enjoyed finding hidden villages and churches unchanged by time. Its location is ideal for walking, and Hay provides plenty of independent and interesting shops.We will definitely return - highly recommended. Margaret, Rating 5 out of 5, Sep 2015.
- We were first introduced to Dukes Farm in Feb when a group of us rented all 3 properties for a 50th birthday celebration. It was perfect - lovely accommodation, beautiful countryside and very welcoming hosts. We've returned to Dukes twice since then as we love it so much. In May we stayed in the very romantic little Goose Cot and we've just retuned from a stay in the Granary this time. Ken and Ruth couldn't be better hosts, it's a very peaceful location with some fantastic walks all around the surrounding farm land. There's a great games room on site where we happily whiled away a few rainy hours playing table tennis & pool. There's also a trampoline in the garden for the more energetic guest! We will definitely go back again in the spring to see the new lambs. No more lamb shanks for us any more though. Claire, Rating 5 out of 5, Sep 2015.
- We rented all three cottages for a big family get together. My husband and I and our two daughters stayed in Swallow Barn, my brother, his wife and their daughter had The Granary, and my parents were in Goose Cotts. The standards in all three barns were very high - perfectly clean, all the kitchen equipment you could possibly need, comfortable beds and tons of space. The woodburners were all set ready to light when we arrived, but luckily, although the weather wasn't great for August, we never needed a fire! The children had a wonderful time. The huge trampoline was a big hit, as was the games room, but their favourite thing was the field full of hay bales! The views from the terrace are beautiful, and Ruth and Ken were really welcoming. The lack of a mobile signal and the narrow roads were a little daunting for us city folk! It wouldn't stop us returning though. Charlotte, Rating 5 out of 5, Aug 2015.
- My wife and I and our two daughters, with their husband and one grandson each in tow, were looking for the perfect place to meet up and have a pleasant and relaxing get-together. We found it in Swallow Barn. Cosy accommodation, wonderful views, good amenities and plenty to do. Although we travelled to Hay and Hereford and to the pub at Michaelchurch, we could have spent the whole time in and around Dukes Farm. Ruth and Ken were very welcoming and informative. We made much use of the games room and I left as the reigning table football champion. Bob, Rating 5 out of 5, Jul 2015.
- We stayed in all three cottages as we were attending a family wedding near by. The outside of the buildings are very rustic and conceal the most amazing interiors and views. We could not helped to be "wowed" when we walked into the barn. There is everything you could possibly need and more! The rooms were perfect for our needs from everyone point of view, we could be together or seperate if we wanted as each cottage offers its own privacy. The 4 and 6 year old loved the space in the barn and in the surrounding garden and fields, including a very large trampoline! The games room was suitable for all ages, with a pool, football and table tennis table, along with a long chalk board for the children (and adults!) to draw on. Do be organised with your food as it is some way to the nearest shop - but that was the beauty of Dukes Farm. Also be warned there is no mobile phone signal, which was great for most of us! (But there is wifi) Both Ken and Ruth extremely helpful both before and during our stay and very eco friendly. Laila, Rating 5 out of 5, Jun 2015.
- We stayed in the Swallow Barn & Granary for my hen weekend. We were welcomed by Ruth and Ken on our arrival and straight away were made to feel at home. The whole weekend was so relaxed and homely. There was 16 ladies and 2 babies on the weekend. The swallow barn was such a great space for us all and never felt cramped. The kitchen in the barn is stocked with equipment and crockery for 16 plus so never ran out of a cup for coffee etc. The beds were all super comfy and everyone slept so well in the peaceful atmosphere. We were there in early June and the field we over looked was full of sheep and lambs and the surrounding fields were full of wildflowers. The accommodation is 5 star and Ruth and Ken have lovely little extras throughout the house. I just now need to think up the reason to return to this beautiful place. Siobhan, Rating 5 out of 5, Jun 2015.
- We have stayed in many barns throughout Britain, but this has to be one of the best we have had the pleasure of staying in. The setting is fantastic, so peaceful and quiet. The views are amazing. The owners Ruth and Ken couldn't be more helpful and informative as they have great knowledge of the local areas, so much so that Ruth has written a book and its well worth a read!! Goose Cotts Barn has everything you need for a relaxing stay, well equipped and Ken and Ruth provide provisions on arrival. The wood burner warms the whole of the barn and creates a very cosy and romantic setting. We have already recommended this place to our colleagues and will be spreading the word to our friends and family. Rating 5 out of 5, May 2015.
- Wow!! what a beautiful place to stay. Ruth and Ken were so lovely, very helpful and informative, and really welcoming. The house was brilliant. it had everything you need, was super cosy and really homely. The views were unlike any thing i have ever seen. staring out in to the valleys, was the most relaxing and breath taking experience. we had no car, so we ordered an online shop, and had local walks. I could of happily stayed at the house all day every day and enjoy the beautiful picturesque surroundings. We will return!! Thanks Ruth and Ken for sharing your unique amazing home. Kelly, Rating 5 out of 5, Apr 2015.
- A lovely location with charismatic buildings in a relaxed farm setting. Everything you could want can be catered for by the friendly and helpful owners, with a wealth of information available for the myriad of local walks and hikes - so many things to see and do! We came for our long-awaited honeymoon, so we could just relax and hide from the world and it was perfect, even down to the swathes of daffodils and cute new lambs on the hill! There is beautiful countryside on the doorstep for rambling through the day, and then what can be better than coming home to curl up in front of a log burner with some wine and board games and then to the comfiest king sized bed with a lovely skylight to the stars! Everything has been thought of and provided, including maps, a history of the area, basic provisions and The luxury of having underfloor heating so there wasn't the chill in the morning when you are getting ready for the day! Can't wait to find the time to come back, although it's a long journey, well worth it! Sarah, Rating 5 out of 5, Apr 2015.
- We have just enjoyed a big family get together at this beautiful hideaway. We were a mixture of adults and children and everyone had a fantastic time. We hired 2 of the barns and the cleanliness and facilities provided were above and beyond. Often,holiday lets do not provide enough crockery or cooking equipment to properly cater for large parties but dukes farm had everything. Kids and adults loved the games room and local walks were stunning. The owners were very helpful and saved us from getting lost on days out! Nothing was too much trouble and the boot room was very well equipped with extras. The information in the cottage said that we could ask for anything including a big bass drum and whilst we refrained I have no doubt one would have been found! It was a lovely secluded holiday. Perfect for relaxing but with plenty of outdoor space for exploring and letting off steam. Rating 5 out of 5, Feb 2015.
- Lovely accommodation in Goose Cottage, made very welcome by Ken the owner. We have stayed 3 years ago and it was nice to see the same high standard was being achieved. So peaceful and quiet, with lovely walks and fantastic trip from Hay to Abergavenny in the snow. Roaring fire with free logs which were certainly appreciated during the very cold week. Great that we are able to take the dog to somewhere of such high quality. Have told numerous friends and passed on web site details. Great value for a lovely romantic, get away from it all winter break. Excellant food at the Bridge pub. Rating 5 out of 5, Feb 2015.
- "I've stayed in some holiday cottages in my time, but this is the bees knees!"
- "What a weekend – if only we didn't have to go back to reality! Just a fantastic place to be – something for everyone, and where we can all be together or not at any given time. What an inspiring place, and an absolute marvel of workmanship."
- "The best holiday cottage we've ever stayed in. superbly equipped, beautiful inside, fantastic views. What an incredible place to live in, and come and stay."
- "We could not have hoped for a more beautiful spot. The Granary is a joy. We have had a few short days of peace and tranquillity in one of the most scenic parts of Britain, and could stay forever."
- "This place has been exquisitely done out; it feels quality, rustic and homely all at the same time. The children loved exploring, trampolining etc. We're so pleased we found you!"
- "Wow! What a beautiful place to stay: the welcome was great, you have thought of absolutely everything (wellies, maps, milk) We couldn't ask for anything more, and already planning the next stay before we've even left."
- "This place is wonderful! – absolutely beautifully done out, and the perfect place to hide away for the weekend and enjoy our wedding anniversary."
Holiday Cottage Accommodation Summary (EN158) (click here for map)
|Sleeps||Bedrooms||Bathrooms||Pets||RFH rating||Other facilities||Price Guide|
up to 15
1 to 4
up to 3
|£199-£919 for short breaks all year round|
|Click to visit owner's website for more info, availability & online booking||Ruth on 01981 510213, please mention RFH||Email owner by clicking on icon|
The accommodation available is as follows:
Contact the owner directly via the form or click to book online
click on the link below to check up to date holiday availability
Make an enquiry DIRECT to the owner of this holiday cottage.