Broad Downs Barn near Salcombe in South Devon
Relax by your own private swimming pool
The converted barn sleeps up to 14 people in 6 bedrooms
Well equipped kitchen, perfect for any self catering holiday
Large dining area with enough space for the whole group
Perfect short break destination all year round
Stunning en suite master bedroom
A further en suite bedroom
There are 6 bedrooms in total, some can be set up as twins
Dine al fresco at this large group holiday cottage
Nearby Salcombe harbour, a great day out
broad downs, malborough, near salcombe, south devon
- Approached by a private lane, Broad Downs Barn (sleeps 14 in 6 beds, 5 bathrooms) was originally a traditional mixed Devon farmstead consisting of farm house, stables, stone barn and piggery. Set in a secluded location, surrounded by 22 acres of sheep pasture and meadow, with a small woodland area, natural pond and springs, the holiday cottages include large gardens and an outdoor heated swimming pool. Located just 5 minutes from Salcombe & the stunning beaches in the area. Ideal large group holiday cottage in South Devon.
- Broad Downs is just a short five minute drive from the picturesque sailing town of Salcombe with its beaches, waterfront, shops and restaurants. Beautiful walks connect with miles of coastal paths at Bolberry Down leading to Salcombe, Soar Mill Cove, Hope Cove and Thurlestone, whilst Bantham Beach, popular with surfers from far and wide is just a 10 minute drive away. The location provides an ideal secluded country retreat, the perfect base for exploring neighbouring coves and beaches and the market town of Kingsbridge (a 10 minute drive) and beyond to Dartmouth approximately half an hour away.
- ENTRANCE A galleried entrance hall leads into the property with a ground floor cloakroom with w.c. A large, well equipped...
- KITCHEN/DINING ROOM with range oven, table and seating for 12, opening out to a furnished terrace for al fresco dining and garden. Steps lead down from the dining area into a spacious vaulted ...
- SITTING ROOM which features a log-burning stove for cosy winter nights in, a 42'' flat screen TV with integrated DVD, SKY/WII and a music system plus stylish but comfortable seating for up to 14. Large French doors provide stunning views of the grounds and countryside beyond and open onto the terrace and garden.
- LAUNDRY AREA with washing machine and tumble dryer.
- BEDROOMS There are six double bedrooms (3 en suite) in all, offering flexible sleeping arrangements in either King-size double or twin beds with quality 'V-Spring' mattresses. N.B. All bedding, bed linen and bath towels are provided. Option for bedroom 6 (ground floor) to be arranged as an additional TV/reception room.
- FAMILY BATHROOM with separate freestanding bath and shower.
- BABY FRIENDLY FACILITIES All of the following are available on request: Travel cots, stairgates, highchairs, child-friendly eating and drinking utensils and pre-bookable evening babysitting.
- OUTDOOR HEATED SWIMMING POOL 4' overall depth, set in original walled garden. The outdoor heated swimming pool is only available between the May and September, please check with the office for confirmed dates (shared with the main farmhouse.)
- OUTSIDE Approximately one acre of private informal garden with outside dining facilities (including table and chairs/bench), barbeque and children's play area.
- PARKING There is parking adjacent to Barn for three vehicles. Additional on site parking / boat trailer storage on request.
- ADDITIONAL SERVICES The owners of Broad Downs are offering additional services included with every booking which are designed to take away as much of the pre-holiday hassle as possible to allow busy families to 'hit the ground running' when they start their holiday and enjoy every available minute, minimising the organisational stress.
- Free midweek clean and house keeper service.
- Welcome pack including maps and guides, information on local facilities and services, restaurants, beaches, walks and local shopping.
- Baby and toddler equipment, including travel cots, stair-gates, highchairs, child- friendly eating and drinking utensils, microwave bottle sterilizer available on request.
- Advance restaurant booking
- Bedding, bed linen, bath towels provided and beds made-up weekly
- Nintendo Wii & Internet Broadband
- Evening babysitting
- Evening drop off / pick up from Salcombe / local restaurants
- Private on-site catering for evening meals
- Welcome grocery pack
- Personal trainer for individuals or groups
- The South Hams in South Devon is an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty. Miles of unspoilt coastal paths, breath-taking views and stunning scenery make the area popular with walkers (with or without a dog!), whilst the children love the numerous secluded coves, which offer opportunities for surfing, swimming, beach cricket, rock pooling and other traditional pursuits. Whether you are looking for sites of historical or natural interest, all weather family attractions, boat trips or even an afternoon browsing in independent shops South Devon is very versatile, with something for people of all ages.
- Salcombe is extremely popular as a sailing holiday destination, boasting a fabulous harbour and many facilities for boating enthusiasts. Indeed the annual sailing Regatta brings thousands to the town every year. Salcombe also has two beaches, North Sands and South Sands, both of which remain unspoilt and are perfect for sailing, surfing, swimming, sandcastle building, rock pooling or simply relaxing! Try crabbing on the quayside with a locally made ice cream, explore the National Trust gardens at Overbecks or for something more exhilarating, walk along the South West Coast Path and enjoy the breath-taking views out to sea. The town offers shops ranging from the butchers and bakery, to independent boutiques and designer clothing outlets.The main Fore Street also boasts many fabulous restaurants, offering fresh, locally caught seafood, including delicious South Devon crab.
- Visitors can soak up the exciting atmosphere in the Summer, or the calm, relaxed vibe in the town out of season. The surrounding villages and hamlets also provide plenty of quieter retreats, for those looking to experience true peace and tranquillity in the South Devon countryside.
- I think the following blog postings might be of use if you are looking for a family holiday in Devon:
- Beach holidays in south west England for families - with the weather like this what could be better than thinking about that precious family time on the beach. This year, why not try the south west of England? We have found you some great options for your family beach holiday this year in Cornwall, Devon, Dorset & Somerset, so read on by clicking the article title above.
- Why not try Devon for your next family holiday? Discover here why Devon is such a great choice for family holidays in the UK - discover Devon's stunning & secret beaches, get close to wildlife, have fun while learning or DARE TO BE DIFFERENT.
- A guide to Dartmouth - holiday at this pretty little port town on the south Devon coast for the nature, history & water-based activities. Plus some ideas on where to find your holiday accommodation.
- Click here to read other articles in our holiday blog.
- Please send us a review of this large group holiday cottage in Salcombe by clicking: "Make a Family Holiday Recommendation".
- A lovely place ! We had a large family to accommodate. Everything had been thought of , including plates and cups for the children. Everything was of the highest quality. Cream tea on arrival was most welcome. The children ran and bounced all weekend, they loved it. We want to go back, and that is the highest recommendation.
- Broad Downs Barn was a wonderful house for our holiday with three adult children and spouses and three young grandchildren. The kitchen was well equipped and spacious, as was the sitting room. Beds were comfortable and it was great to have so many shower rooms, and a family bathroom to cope with the large numbers. The grounds were child friendly, the trampoline, or'bouncing bean' was a great hit with young and not so young! We were fortunate to have a beautiful week so the swimming pool was used every day and a great delight.
- Utterly gorgeous barn, perfect for large groups. Everything was top quality. Loved our stay can't wait to return.
Holiday Cottage Accommodation Summary (EN226) (click here for map)
|Sleeps||Bedrooms||Bathrooms||Pets||RFH rating||Other facilities||Price Guide|
up to 14
|Click to visit our partner's website for more information, availability & online booking||Sorry, no direct line. Please book online if possible to help keep RFH running, thank you.|