dorset & somerset holiday cottages, parks & lodges
- The South West of England is a region of contrasts with Wiltshire under an hour from London. To the west, there are the wilds of Exmoor and in the south there is endless coastline. Dorset holiday cotttages & accommodation in South West England are recommended as a holiday destination for families due to its ease of access, particularly if you want a change from Devon or Cornwall, its beauty & its shear variety. This section includes Dorset, Somerset, Bristol, Bath, Wiltshire and the Isles of Scilly - click her for Devon holidays and here for Cornwall holidays - they are so popular that these are featured separately.
- The West Country area as this is known locally, is a great place to enjoy your family holiday. From the grandeur of Bath to the delightful small villages to be discovered there are activities to keep everyone occupied. Many sports including golf, horse riding and swimming are available in the vicinity. Shopping in Bristol and Bath is close at hand and of course the historic legacies of both cities are open for all to explore whilst on holiday. Not to mention the coastline with its golden sands & ragged cliffs to explore.
- Dorset holiday cottages are popular because you can combine beach, history, towns & villages all in one holiday. The Roman town of Dorchester and the market town of Sherborne are popular to visit and countryside such as the Blackmore Vale is delightful. There are many unspoilt beaches along the south coast, from Studland's golden sands, Lulworth Cove, Weymouth, Chesil Beach, Abbotsbury Swannery and the sub-tropical gardens, Burton Bradstock, West Bay, Golden Cap near Seatown and Lyme Regis for fossils and a dinosaur tour. The whole of this part of the south coast of south west england has recently been selected for World Heritage Site Status. Athelhampton Gardens and the Cerne Giant at Cerne Abbas are also well worth a visit. Golf, fishing, riding, tennis, bicycling, are within easy reach.
- Somerset holiday cottages & accommodation has something different to offer. With its lovely beaches beautiful countryside and fascinating history, dating back to the times of the Ancient Britons, Somerset may just have something for you! Bath has some of the UK’s most majestic Georgian architecture, as well as the famous Roman Baths. Wells is the smallest city in England but also the county town of Somerset - its cathedral & medieval lanes are well worth a visit. Glastonbury in Somerset is now world famous for its music festival but it is also supposedly home to King Arthur's mythical Avalon. Alternatively, the traditional seaside resorts of Western-Super-Mare, Minehead or Burnham on Sea might just be perfect for your holiday. Oh & don't forget Cheddar Gorge - the real home of Cheddar cheese.
- Below is a summary of the Dorset holiday cottages & Somerset accommodation we feature in South West England - many have family friendly features such as babysitting, kids club, baby equipment, DVD players, games rooms and swimming pools to keep all of the children occupied whilst you enjoy your holiday too! To find your family holidays in the West Country & Dorset just click on the accommodation name for further details. If you have any other places to recommend in the West Country & Dorset then please click on "Make a Holiday Recommendation" to send us a review, or if you would like to advertise your own accommodation as a family holiday destination then please click on "Advertise my holiday cottage on Recommended Family Holidays".
- I think the following blog posting might be of use if you are looking for a family holiday in Dorset & Somerset:
- Beach holidays in south west England for families - with the weather like this what could be better than thinking about that precious family time on the beach. This year, why not try the south west of England? We have found you some great options for your family beach holiday this year in Cornwall, Devon, Dorset & Somerset, so read on by clicking here ...
- Click here to read other articles in our travel blog.
Useful holiday blog postings for South West England
|Pinewood Holiday Lodges, Lyme Regis, Dorset||3||5||2-4 beds||Rural||YY||YYY||YY||YN||NN||YY||£276-£1,817/wk||Some private hot tubs. Short breaks|
|Swandown Luxury Lodges, Cricket St Thomas, Somerset||2-3 beds||Rural||YY||YYY||YY||YN||YY||YY||£499-1,195/wk||Some private hot tubs. Short breaks|
|Warmwell Holiday Lodges, Weymouth, Dorset||2-3 bed||Coast||YY||YYY||YY||YN||YY||YY||£279-1,058/wk||Indoor pool, ski slope, fishing, entertainment|
|Dorset Holiday Park, near Bournemouth||1-3 bed||Beach||NY||YYN||YN||YN||YY||YY||Short breaks||Caravans & apartments|
|Blue Anchor Holiday Park, Minehead, Somerset||1-4 beds||Beach||NY||YYN||YY||YN||NN||YY||Short Breaks||Static & touring caravans. Indoor pool|
|Hoburne Dorset Caravan Park, South England||2-4 beds||Beach||NY||YYY||YY||YN||YN||YY||Short breaks||Static caravans, indoor & outdoor pool, tennis|
dorset & somerset holiday accommodation map
View Dorset Holiday Cottages in a larger map