beacon hill farm holiday cottages, longhorsley, northumberland
- As the only double winner of England's Self Catering Holiday of the Year and winner of many other major awards, near Alnwick and Morpeth in Northumberland offers an outstanding holiday cottage experience. We have a superb spa with a wide range of leisure facilities - including a swimming pool with Jacuzzi, gymnasium and beauty salon. We have fifteen self catering holidays cottages, set in landscaped gardens in the middle of the estate. All are of an exceptional standard and graded either very top-end 4 Stars or 5 Stars.
- Three cottages have M2 Mobility Grading and many others are on one level. Every cottage has Wi-Fi, Sky television with Sports, radios, music systems, a fully-fitted kitchen with washer / drier and dishwasher (with the exception of Wood Cottage). Every cottage has either granite worktops or hardwood worktops in the case of Larch and Willow cottage, at least a four-ring hob and a full electric oven and microwave. There is every conceivable kitchen utensil you could want and masses of plates and glasses. All the beds in your cottage will be made up and bath and hand towels are provided. We can supply as many cots and high chairs as you require at no extra charge.
Holiday accommodation available is as follows:
- Quarry House: sleeps 6 in three bedrooms, 18ft x 16ft kitchen, awarded 5 stars by Visit Britain
- Willow Cottage: sleeps 6 in three bedrooms with three bathrooms/ensuites, awarded 5 stars by Visit Britain
- Beacon Hill Cottage: sleeps 6 in three bedrooms, 30ft long garden room, awarded 5 stars by Visit Britain
- Curlew and Kestrel Cottages: sleeps 6 in three bedrooms with three bathrooms/ensuites, Mobility M2 accessibility grading, award 5 stars by Visit Britain
- Beech Cottage: sleeps 6 in three bedrooms, over 50ft of books in the sitting room, awarded 4 stars by Visit Britain
- South and North Granary: both sleep 6 in three bedrooms and are "upside down" cottages with the sitting room upstairs, awarded 4 stars by Visit Britain
- Larch Cottage: sleeps 4 in two bedrooms with two bathrooms/ensuites, awarded 5 stars by Visit Britain
- Oak, Elm & Merlin Cottages: all sleep 4 in two bedrooms with two bathrooms/ensuites and have ramped access, awarded 5 stars by Visit Britain
- Ash Cottage: sleeps 4 in two bedrooms and is an "upside down" cottage with the sitting room upstairs, awarded 4 stars by Visit Britain
- Stable Cottage: sleeps 4 in two bedrooms and a large arched window in the sitting room, awarded 4 stars by Visit Britain
- Wood Cottage: sleeps 2 and was created from the old joiners workshop, awarded 4 stars by Visit Britain
- Homemade meals are also available on request.
- Please send us a review of these luxury cottages in Northumberland by clicking: "Make a Family Holiday Recommendation".
- 1 family holiday recommendation, average rating 5 out of 5
Best rating: 5 out of 5
Worst rating 5 out of 5
- We were told to come here by friends and it has been fantastic. Last year we went to Florida at great expense and we have previously visited Centre Parcs , also at great expense, so it was a bit galling to hear that all three children, Josh 12, Amelia 10 and Miles 7, all preferred here! What did we like about it? Firstly we have never visited anywhere where we felt more relaxed and at ease. The owner Alan is a larger than life character and the children loved him. When we arrived were given the tour round on a golf buggy which was the high point of Miles' holiday. There is masses to see and the views in all directions are spectacular. We were in Quarry House which was stunning with great views - we could see the sea from the sitting room. The Spa is great with masses for adults...heated beds in a room called a laconium, Jacuzzi steam room and sauna. The children made friends in the pool and carried on playing with them in the games field, on the Pirate Tower, in the adventure playground and in the Games room. But without a doubt the high point for the family as a whole was the sausage sizzle in the 40 acre wood. We teamed up with another family (on their 7th visit) and cooked sausages and marshmallows in the most fantastic wood (there is a Harry Potter Trail in the wood which the kids spent hours doing) The whole evening was a fantastic "family experience". We never heard "I'm bored "or we never had to tell the kids to get off facebook-they just got up, grabbed breakfast and ran out the door to meet new friends. A great holiday and we are going back; most people there had been some masses of times. It is a fabulous place for a family holiday and we have never felt safer or more at ease. Thanks Mike and Shona for the tip. Rating 5 out of 5, Veronica, Aug 2010.
- We stayed in Beacon Hill cottage this Easter, and we too saw the stoat, moving her young from beneath the flower bed outside Granary, to Quarry garden. Also got a good view of 3 deer in the wood as we arrived (a first for us, in 10 visits). Our daughter brought a friend, who said it was both the most energetic, and the most relaxing holiday she'd ever had! (Lots of tennis, swimming, gym and jacuzzi, sun room etc).
- This was our fourth visit and I am totally addicted. The view from Quarry is absolutely amazing and I was lucky enough to watch the barn owl before sunrise on a couple of mornings, and to see a red squirrel and a stoat in the garden. If it was up to me I wouldnt leave the site at all as there is everything there for the perfect holiday for me. Teenagers and Granny's like to go in search of the touristy things.
- This was our fourth weekend visit t - a mothers day weekend treat for 6 mums!! We make every use of the fantastic leisure facilities and have to be prised from the laconium beds, and all thoroughly enjoy Jean's pamper treatments.
- The cottages are spacious, relaxing and so well equipped with everything we could possibly want, and the bookshelves are wonderful! The area is beautiful and our visit this year was heightened as we took our walks by some of the sheep in the fields which were in labour and about to give birth - our very own lambing live. We were also every excited to see the lighting of part of Hadrians Wall from our own bedroom window! Another marvellous break, thank you Alun for providing this incredible place, see you again next year.
- The cottage had everything we could want (and didn't remember to bring!), including an ipod dock. We really appreciated all the little extras which just came as standard. The on-site facilities were also fantastic. We used the pool every day, and the play barn and mini tractors were a big hit with our 22 month old. The spa was great and we both enjoyed our massages! We enjoyed great days out to Craster, Alnmouth, Bamburgh, Alnwick, Druridge Bay and Seahouses. The beaches were fantastic, but we really enjoyed knowing that every day we were coming back home to our little haven. Thanks to everyone there for a fantastic week. We can't wait to come back.
- I just wanted to say how impressed we were with everything when we visited recently. The cottage (Wood) was lovely and warm, clean, cosy and welcoming and the spa facilities were fantastic. - As a naturally early riser I was lucky enough to have the pool etc to myself each morning. What a peaceful treat. I will DEFINITELY be coming back and will be recommending you to others! Thank you, (and I hope your holiday was as relaxing)
- We had a fantastic time. The cottage was excellent, very clean and well equipped and very private. The area is teeming with wildlife and the children particularly enjoyed watching the rabbits outside their bedroom window. The farm is really well set up with lots to keep the children entertained and the spa is fabulous. The wood is beautiful and we highly recommend campfire cooking. Megs lake was also a highlight. We had not been to Northumberland before and it is a lovely area with superb beaches, castles and walks. We would particularly recommend Cragside House and also a trip with Puffin Cruises fron Amble. In all it was an outstanding holiday and one we would highly recommend.
- We have just arrived home after a brilliant week at Stable Cottage. The site had everything we needed and the weather was very kind to us. We made good use of the leisure facilities which are fantastic. We also enjoyed the Harry Potter trail in the woods, completing it after several hours spread over a couple of days, I have the scratches to prove our efforts! We also enjoyed cooking sausages at the Woodland camp and generally wandering in the woods. Megs Lake was a beautiful place and the views were amazing. We hope to visit again in the future. Thank you.
- Our second visit of the year, in May 2010, to Willow Cottage which is definitely becoming our "home from home." Another fabulous week, enjoying the swimming pool, woodland adventures and walks across the Estate. A great treat to come back to is the wonderful home-cooked food prepared in advance by Kate Howard. This time we took the open top bus tour around Alnwick (the top deck is a must!)and visited Chillingham Castle (what a sense of history!) and the Wild Cattle (from a safe distance!). With our 4 year old son, we had fun on the Heatherslaw railway and in the villages of Ford and Etal. Plus a wonderful day on the beach at Low Newton with simple but good food at the Ship Inn - this location is great for young children on the beach! We do so hope to return next year. Well done Alun and the team for giving all your visitors such a happy, memorable and relaxing time!
- The holiday cottages are an amazing, well equipped and highly recommendable set of cottages. I stayed in with a party of 30 guests and we were well treated and got excellent value for money. The cottages were clean, spacious and fitted with all modern amenities. The facilities on site are all fantastic and kept to a modern and clean state. Alun and his groundskeeper Tony were both friendly and courteous at all times and (Tony even kept the grass short for us to play football). I would highly recommend anyone wishing to stay there, to go ahead and book early as not to be disappointed. Thanks
- The holiday cottages comes highly recommended. We spent a week in Beacon Hill Cottage which sleeps 6. Alan the owner met us on arrival (and had kindly upgraded us to this cottage). He gave us a guided tour of the grounds (very well kept with great views) and the gym / spa (good options for both working out and chilling out). The cottage was well equipped. The bedrooms are of a good size with plenty of storage. There were 2 main seating areas. The first was a conservatory with sofas and armchairs at one end, and a dining table for 6 at the other. This had fantastic views over the Northumberland Countryside. The second area was a lounge with a TV (DVD, Sky etc), a sofa and armchairs, and a great coal fire. The kitchen was equipped with everything we needed (there is a utility room too). Alan gave us some great insider knowledge of what to do in the area, and pointed us in the direction of decent shops for good locally produced provisions (Would recommend the Porter from the Cheese Shop in Morpeth!). All in all a great place to spend some time either as a base for visiting a beautiful part of the world or simply to get away for a while and relax.
Holiday Cottage Accommodation Summary (EN064) (click here for map)
|Sleeps||Bedrooms||Bathrooms||Pets||RFH rating||Other facilities||Price Guide|
up to 6
1 to 3
up to 3
|Click to visit owner's website for more info, availability & online booking||Reception on 01670 780900 or 07802 517121, please mention RFH||Email owner by clicking on icon|