chene gite, vosges mountains, loraine, eastern france
- This holiday gite is located in a small friendly village, just 10 minutes from the post office & bar in the Vosges Mountains; famous for its snow covered slopes which are the most northerly ski slopes in France. Nestled in the stunning Lorraine region of Eastern France and just 90 minutes drive from the German and Swiss borders. After a 30 minute drive you will find yourself deep in the Alsace region, famous for its food and wine. Also 30 minutes away is Gerardmer - a haven for water sports in the summer and skiing in the winter. So whatever the time of year, you have a huge choice of what to do whilst on holiday!
- The Gite is a 40m2 self contained unit adjoining the owners' traditional Vosgienne farmhouse who are always on hand if you need any help or information but discreet enough to give you peace & quiet if that is what you desire. The owners have their own equestrian business, so if you like horses, this is the place for you!
- The gite boasts exposed beams, an open plan lounge/kitchen/diner, a spacious double bedroom and good sized twin room. There is a large wet room style shower and separate toilet. The kitchen comes well equipped with a microwave oven, electric oven and hob, fridge freezer, and automatic washing machine. In addition, the lounge has a flat screen TV, DVD player, HiFi stereo, satellite TV & local French channels. There is ample secure storage available for skis, and bikes etc. Also freely available for your use are a travel cot, pushchair, high chair, baby bath, stair gate and other baby/toddler equipment you may need. We also have broadband internet access for our guests' use.
- The gite may also be suitable for people with limited mobility. Apart from the twin bedroom, all of the accommodation is on one level. There is a very small step up to the cottage (easily negotiated by wheelchair users), plus there is a small step over into the wet room style shower. Lindsay, the owner is more than happy to provide extra photos & door dimensions etc. - just ask!
- The gite is situated in La Chapelle Devant Bruyeres which is a small friendly village with approximately 600 residents. The Gite is ten minutes walk from the centre of the village where you will find the local post office. Ten minutes walk in the other direction will bring you into Laveline Devant Bruyeres; here you will find a bar, a traditional French cafe, a tabac (newsagents) a boulangerie (Bakers) and a post office.
- The Vosges offers a wide range of activities for you to enjoy on your holiday both in the summer and winter months. It is well known for being a ski resort in the winter but is also an excellent base for mountain pursuits during the summer months.
- The area is known as the ‘Valley of the Lakes.' The three main lakes can be found at Gerardmer, Xonrupt Longemer and Retournemer. Many more lakes can be found in the mountains amidst beautiful scenery and landscapes.
- In the winter months the Vosges Mountains belong to the skiers, snowboarders and Nordic walkers. 90 ski lifts service 120 downhill alpine ski runs. The main ski stations are at Gerardmer, La Bresse, St Maurice-sur-Moselle, Bussang, Ventron, Le Valtin and Xonrupt Longemer. Ski schools and equipment hire are easily available. The Vosges is also popular with cross country skiers, offering over 300km of signposted runs
- Please send us a review of this holiday gite in Loraine, eastern France by clicking: "Make a Family Holiday Recommendation".
- 6 family holiday recommendations, average rating 4.3 out of 5
Best rating: 5 out of 5
Worst rating 4 out of 5
- We arrived later than we anticpated due to me miscalculating the distance to the gite. this was not a problem to Lindsay and Andy (or so they said!) The wine in the fridge and fresh eggs were very much appreciated on arrival. The gite is comfortable, well equipped and very quiet so a good nights rest is guaranteed. The only small negative is the shower room which has a smell of damp. Whilst it is obvious that Lindsay is aware of this (air fresheners to try and mask the smell). It would be appreciated if this could be improved but it will require a lot of work! The acid test is would we go there again. In one word YES, hopefully to get better weather, but that's another story. Rating 4 out of 5, Peter, Sep 2013
- We loved it! Andy and Lindsay are great hosts and made us feel very welcome. The gite is in a lovely area, ideal for exploring the Vosge and Alsace. We even made a foray across the Rhine into Germany. The gite itself is quiet and well outfitted, with everything you'd need for a comfortable stay. We're planning on another visit in 2014 with Chris's mum who has never been to France., and we look forward to showing her this beautiful corner of the country. Highly recommended. Rating 5 out of 5, Graeme & Christine, Aug 2013.
- We had a lovely week at La Chene and would recommend it as a good centre for the Vosges. The gite is small and quite basic but with everything you needed for a good holiday. The owners were away on holiday themselves on our visit but Lindsay's parents did a fine job of looking after us including introducing us to the local speciality Cremant d'Alsace. If you are animal lovers you will enjoy the farm style location with horses goat donkeys and chickens. We visited the lakes the mountains and on the recommendation of Ian and Pam, Nancy. The French towns towards the German border are a must. Rating 4 out of 5, Alison, Aug 2013
- We really enjoyed our stay at Chene Gite. Andy and Lindsay were very friendly and did everything possible to help us make the best of our stay. The Gite wasn't luxurious but well equipped and comfortable. Our son was 1.5 years at the time and the Gite was safe and well-equipped for him too. During our week we enjoyed some great day trips to Haut-Koenigsbourg, Memorial du Linge and the Alsace wine route. We also enjoyed a couple of days at the Gite playing in the yard, watching the horses/dogs and exploring the nearby village/surrounding countryside. The supermarket was only a short drive away and we barbecued in the small private garden most evenings. The Gite was a great location to explore a beautiful part of France. Rating 5 out of 5, Jay, June 2013.
- We enjoyed our holiday at this cottage. We were made welcome with a friendly atmosphere throughout. Pleasant, clean, comfortable accommodation. A central site for visiting the area. Rating 4 out of 5, Sheila, Jun 2013
- Well equipped and roomy gite in pleasant countryside. Good value with all appliances and a wet room. Also appreciated the UK TV channels as the nearby village did not offer a great deal to do in the evenings. We enjoyed site-seeing in the region and this was a good base to do it from. Lindsey and Andy were friendly and helpful hosts but did not impose on us. Rating 4 out of 5, Jane, May 2013
Holiday Cottage Accommodation Summary (FR094) (click here for map)
Contact the owner directly via the form or click to book online
contact the owner to check availability
Make an enquiry DIRECT to the owner of this holiday cottage.