Large Holiday Home, St Germain Les Belles, Limousin
Holiday Cottage Accommodation Summary (FR125) (click here for map)
- We think our Limousin holiday house in St Germain les Belles (30 minutes south of Limoges) in this beautiful region of France - "the land of a thousand lakes" has something really special to offer families. If you really don't want to hire a car during your stay, you really can find everything you need right on your doorstep.. The village has several small, local shops (selling everything from tasty cheeses to locally-reared meat), a network of country walks, a rail service to Limoges and our village swimming lake! During July and August, the lake can provide really great (and free!) entertainment for families with children. There is supervised swimming and a sandy beach and it is often busy with local children or families from the adjoining campsite.
- Limousin has been called the 'French Lake District' and will offer you some of the most unspoilt, natural landscapes in France. We are surrounded by swimming lakes, beaches and outdoor swimming pools. The beautiful Lake Vassiviere, Europe's largest man-made lake, is only 45 minutes away - please ask us for details of some of the best lakes or outdoor pools to visit, especially for those with young children.
- Recently renovated and refurbished, we have created a really great space for large groups, with six bedrooms to sleep a maximum of 14 people! 5 of the bedrooms have private ensuite bathrooms. For guests who use a wheelchair, we have a ground-floor accessible bedroom and bathroom.
- There is a large, but cosy lounge, with 2 convertible double sofas, collection of reading material (for big and little people!), satellite TV, DVD player and DVD libary (including loads of kids films). There is also a wood-burning stove for those chilly evenings, complete with safety gate. Right next to the lounge, is the large kitchen. We love this large, open-plan space and it is particularly useful if you need to keep an eye on the kids, while preparing food! There is a huge kitchen table and benches and the kitchen offers you everything you might find in your own house.. dishwasher, microwave, fridge-freezer, big cooker, toaster, loads of tasteful white crockery. We also offer the use of wifi internet connection and a laptop, totally free of charge!
- We strive to be as child-friendly as possible and can provide useful items that will help you to enjoy your stay e.g.travel cots, toys, baby bath, stair gate, high chairs... Just make sure you ask when booking. Also included in the rental price, are free organic vegetable boxes and free-range eggs, provided from our small-holding up the road! We also work in partnership with a local auberge and can arrange tasty, traditional French meals, right to your doorstep.
- Although the house is in the heart of the village, you will have the best of both worlds, as once you step out of the back door, the peaceful views of open countryside really make you feel like you are in a more remote spot. The attractive terrace (with barbecue) is a wonderful location for a relaxing drink or meal on a warm summer's evening. The terrace leads out onto the large, private and family-friendly garden lawn (secure and bordered with a fence / walls). There are several bars and restaurants close by (2 are just minutes walk away) for eating out. However,if you prefer, we can also order delicious 4-course meals from a local Auberge, to be delivered right to your door. Babysitting can be arranged.
reviews made directly to recommended family holidays
- Please send us a review of this large group gite in Limousin by clicking: "Make a Family Holiday Recommendation".
Reviews from the Owners' website
- "Thank you so much for a lovely holiday. We all fell in love with the house and the village. Wonderful places to visit and wonderfully friendly people to welcome us wherever we went."
- "Very interesting, comfortable 5 night stay. Relaxing, weather super and glorious countryside. Thank you all very much and best wishes for the future."
- "14 members of our family had a really memorable holiday at this superb gîte situated in a lovely village with a bar, 2 bakeries, a general store, post office, cash machine, etc. However, in the garden, it feels as if you're in the middle of the countryside - definitely the best of both worlds. There's lots to see and do in the area - beautiful countryside, villages and towns to explore - Limoges is very interesting.. Several lakes with beaches and good facilities are close by (although our kids preferred the one in St Germain as it had diving boards) and there is a good choice of restaurants to suit all pockets and occasions. The gîte was extremely well-equipped, clean & spacious and the welcome from Anna, Howard and the children was genuine and friendly. The supply of fresh vegetables from their own garden ensured healthy eating on the occasions we ate at home.. This is the best accommodation we've had for a family holiday, and we highly recommend it."
- "The Gite has been beautifully restored and provides spacious, clean and flexible accommodation.. The open plan kitchen, living room is perfect for family life and the transformation of one of the downstairs rooms into a playroom was a big hit with our two young children! Outside the garden was great for soaking up some rays and a safe place for our kids to explore. The organic vegetables were a lovely addition and the owners were really friendly, welcoming and helpful. St Germaine les Belles is a sleepy little town with a few shops which cater for everyday needs and a great swimming lake and park nearby. We fell in love with the area and really enjoyed visits to Mount Gargan, Lake Vassiviere and Limoges. Highly recommended!"