5 self catering gites in the Vendee with shared, heated pool
Relax by the pool & enjoy the sun while the kids play on holiday
We hold a BBQ every week for our guests to enjoy
We also run a fun kids club, happy kids = happy holiday!
Our playground to help keep your kids occupied
The beautiful farmhouse setting of our holiday gites
Les Ardoises: 4 bedroom gite sleeping 8
Les Ardoises kitchen, everything you need for your self catering holiday
Le Jardin Clos: 2 bedroom gite sleeping up to 5
Le Jardin Clos with wood burning stove, perfect holiday all year round
Le Cerisier: 4 bedroom gite sleeping up to 9
Relax in Le Cerisier open plan dining lounge
One of the bedrooms in Le Cerisier
Les Boulins: 5 bedroom gite sleeping up to 10
One of 5 bedrooms in Les Boulins
Le Recoin: 2 bedroom gite sleeping up to 2 adults & 2 children
The double bedroom in Le Recoin
Why not come & holiday in the Vendee with us this year?
la boulinerie, chevrette, south vendee, loire atlantique, france
- Five self catering gites sleeping from 2 to 10 people situated in the South Vendée known for its wonderful coastline and year round sunny climate. There is a fenced heated swimming pool with floodlighting and large Lot stone sun terrace and cookery and language courses are available onsite. Located just 30 minutes from safe golden Atlantic beaches, 35 minutes from La Rochelle and its airport. There is lots to do and visit in the area including; markets, restaurants,chateaux, gardens, five golf courses within an hour, nature reserves, water sports, horse riding, cycling, birdwatching, art holidays, Puy du Fou, 45 mins; Futuroscope 1hr; Cognac and Bordeaux make easy day trips. The whole property sleeps 40 people.
- Les Boulins, the original farmhouse sleeps 10 in five en suite bedrooms, Les Ardoises, the maison de maître, sleeps 8 in four bedrooms and Le Cerisier, a beautifully restored house, sleeps 9 in four bedrooms. Le Recoin and Le Jardin Clos, situated in a private garden, sleep 4 and 5 respectively.
- High season at La Boulinerie is very family centred and friendly; we have a lot of space for games such as cricket, soft tennis, football and volleyball, not to mention the heated swimming pool (kept at 26°C). There is a dedicated bouledrome, very popular with the fathers! We also have a bigger play barn with table football, table tennis etc.. We are in a great position for family holidays, close to the lovely Atlantic beaches, lots of fun things for all ages to do locally, together with a wealth of local markets selling delicious French food and wine!
- Our Children's Club takes place on Wednesday mornings - giving the adults time to go to the local markets, and Friday afternoons - last minute wine buying, shopping or just sitting by the pool. The children do a variety of crafts and cookery and adventures (such as fossil hunting), in a very friendly and secure environment. There is a fully qualified first aider in attendance. In addition we have a weekly evening meal in the central courtyard, either paella or a barbeque together with a huge variety of hors d'oeuvres and puddings, which is a popular and convivial evening for both parents and children alike. On Friday evenings we provide a running barbeque, simple family food that can be eaten in your own houses or with others in the courtyard.
- Les Boulins 5 beds sleeps 10: a beautifully restored former farmhouse which dates back to Napoleonic times with direct access to the swimming pool terrace. On the ground floor there is a large, spacious, well equipped kitchen; and a large family sitting room. The sitting room features a beamed ceiling and an impressive stone fireplace. The large kitchen/dining room has a beamed ceiling, terracotta tiled floor and a old stone fireplace with a wood burning stove. It opens onto the wisteria-covered pool terrace where there is patio furniture and a barbeque. The pine kitchen is fully equipped with a gas cooker, electric oven, microwave, dishwasher, washing machine, and large fridge/ freezer, toaster, kettle, coffee maker, food processor, etc. The ground floor rooms benefit from central heating in the winter months, and the bedrooms have independent electric heaters. On the first floor there are three double bedrooms and two twin bedrooms, all with en suite facilities, each retaining a wealth of original features including stone walls, exposed beams, pine and chestnut floors.
- Les Ardoises 4 beds sleeps 8: This elegant house has a light and airy hallway leading to a large tile floored sitting room, a fantastic, well equipped, fully-fitted kitchen with a large American style fridge/freezer and a ceiling fan for the summer heat. There is a private terrace under a pergola at the front of the house and another at the back with direct access to the swimming pool area with barbeque and garden furniture. The elegant sitting room is a wonderful place to relax after a busy day sightseeing plus there is also an understairs WC. The original wooden staircase leads to the first floor where there is a vast en suite double bedroom (bathroom with large corner bath, shower cubicle, basin, WC and bidet), a double bedroom, a twin bedded room, a landing room with bunk beds, and a shower room with basin and WC.
- Le Cerisier 4 beds sleeps 9: An independent, renovated cottage in the courtyard at La Boulinerie with its own terrace with barbecue and garden furniture overlooking the gardens and children's play area. Le Cerisier has been renovated to a high standard, whilst retaining character features such as exposed stonework and beams. The large spacious ground floor room accommodates a well equipped stained pine kitchen with gas and electric hob, oven, microwave, dishwasher, washing machine and large fridge/freezer, kettle, coffee maker etc. There is a large dining table and a sitting area with sofas, coffee table and a woodburning stove for the winter months. A ground floor bedroom with double bed, wardrobe and chest of drawers leads off the living room and is ideal for grannies or older teenagers! On the first floor a double bedroom with drawers and wardrobe and French windows overlooking the courtyard. Twin bedded room with chest of drawers and wardrobe has a small window to courtyard and terrace. Childrens dormitory room with three single beds, and chests of drawers, is well lit with a velux window. All bedrooms have individual electric heaters for the winter. There is a bathroom with WC and a separate shower room with WC, both heated.
- Le Jardin Clos 2 beds sleeps 5: Through the gardens and a honeysuckle archway to Le Jardin Clos, a tastefully renovated single storey gite featuring exposed stonework and beams. It enjoys a secluded position whilst having ready access to the pool area. There is a sitting room/dining area with an open plan kitchen. French windows open on to its own terrace with barbecue and garden furniture. There is a large old stone fireplace with a traditional wood burning stove. The kitchen is equipped with a gas cooker, fridge, microwave and washing machine, kettle, coffee maker etc. One double bedroom and a large second bedroom with bunks and a single bed. The spacious bathroom comprises sink, bath (with shower attachment) and WC.
- Le Recoin 2 beds sleeps 2 adults + 2 children: A clematis covered archway leads to Le Recoin, a charmingly renovated single storey barn conversion with exposed stonework and a light airy feel, enjoying a secluded position in the walled garden and orchard. There is a sitting room/dining area with an open plan kitchen and comfortable seating to relax on during your holiday. French windows open onto its own private terrace where there is a barbecue and patio furniture. The kitchen is fully equipped with gas cooker, fridge,washing machine, microwave, toaster, kettle and coffee maker. There is a shower room with basin and WC. Steps down to a door give private access to the quiet lane outside the property.
- Please send us a review of these holiday cottages in the Loire by clicking: "Make a Family Holiday Recommendation".
- 26 family holiday recommendations, average rating 4.8 out of 5
Best rating: 5 out of 5
Worst rating 4 out of 5
- Just arrived home from a fantastic week in La Boulinerie and we are counting the days till we can return. We stayed in Le Recoin a 2 bed cottage to the rear of the complex which opens up to a huge garden area. If you like your privacy this is the cottage for you (no passing neighbours and a side entrance for unloading/loading your bags at from the main road) We were met by Jonathan & Nicky and felt so welcome immediately. Shown to our cottage where our pre-ordered dinner was waiting for us in the fridge (you have to have this it's delicious) and also my order for breakfast items as not knowing what time we would arrive I was fearful of shops being closed - no need as Nicky had contacted us a few days prior to arrival to ask if we wanted anything! The farmhouse and buildings are very rustic, very French and have everything you need especially with children. (Do not expect fine china, leather suites and a multimedia system this place is for those who want to get away and chill without worrying about your kids). Highly recommended. Rating 5 out of 5, Claire, stayed Jul 2015.
- We had a brilliant two week holiday here and couldn't recommend it highly enough. Our party consisted of both children (2, 4, 6 years old), older teenagers (17 and 19) and adults, and all of us had an amazing time. The accommodation was spacious and well equipped to cater for our large party. The facilities were great; the pool, playground, trampoline and barn were more than enough to keep everyone entertained, so we had a fair few days just relaxing around the pool. There is loads to do in the area for children and older visitors, all easily accessible without too long spent in the car. Special mention has to go to our hosts - Jonathan and Nicky and their family - who went out of their way to make it a holiday to remember. Also, make sure you don't miss the meals - they are amazing!!! We hope to return again soon. Rating 5 out of 5, Juliet, Aug 2014.
- Le Jardin Clos: Having read previous reviews it sounded the ideal set up for us and our children, boys 8 and 11. Jonathan and Nicky are just the best hosts, with a delicious evening meal on arrival and then a full run down of the area and best places to visit the next day. The accomodation is comfortable and well equipped and the pool, trampoline, fields a big hit with our boys. We had the odd light rain in tge evenings so the Barn with its pool table, tennis table was a great place for the boys to go We had no intention of using the holiday club but only after a day or two the boys had made new friends and the enthusiasm of Johnathan and Nickys children, they insisted on going. We highly recommend a day out at the Indian Forest. The children still talk about the zip wires in the trees and the water jump in a rubber ring was just fantastic fun. We were there for a week and we really made the most of it, beaches, La Rochelle market, cycling around a beautiful around across the bridge from La Rochelle and kayaking.The two evening meals that you can choose to attend were well worth it. The amount and quality of food was just great and getting to know other guests with the children running around really added to the holiday. We would have liked to be able to cycle/walk to a local shop/bakery which I know this was something being talked about while we were there but a lot of the beach destinations, supermarkets were about 30 mins drive away. The week flew by and we really would have preferred two weeks with still many places left to visit. The journey home, the boys already asked when we were going back and no doubt we will. Rating 4 out of 5, The Betts family, Aug 2014.
- Cannot recommend this place highly enough and will definitely return. Spent two lovely weeks in July there staying in le Cerisier - really comfortable and well decorated property - as they all seem to be (5 gites in total). The grounds, garden and pool are impeccably clean tidy and so pretty! Our two girls aged 4 and 7 had the best holiday yet there (as did Mum and Dad). It was a totally 'chilled out' experience despite the high temperatures during our second week! The whole family returned relaxed and with fond memories - the property is in a good location - 30/40 minutes drive takes you to La ROchelle or some great beaches (we visited La FAute sur Mer). I'lle de Re is also worth a visit - less than an hour away. Great supermarkett Leclerc a few minutes away in the car to stock up on lots of goodies! Thought we might find it difficult without UK TV but children were so busy outside playing that it wasn't missed at all. In fact, some days we had difficulty persuading them to leave to go on day trips! Nicky, Jonathan and family are truly welcoming hosts - so helpful and not at all intrusive. We booked evening meal on arrival - so nice to know that a meal will be ready for you but this was no ordinary spaghetti bolognaise - best we've ever tasted and salad dressing was superb! Rating 5 out of 5, Joanne, Jul 2014.
- This is the second year we have stayed at La Boulinerie gite complex and have already booked for a third year in 2014. The gites are set in a very rural setting but close enough to reach numerous fantastic beaches and many other inland attractions in just a short car journey. Our favourite excursion is to the beautiful Il de Re. The gites themselves are nicely appointed and extremely well equipped, there's even herb bushes and pots dotted around the complex if, like me, you enjoy cooking whilst on holiday. The grounds are fantastic - the pool is warm and clean, there are plenty of sun loungers and parasols and the huge, open grounds are a delight. Compettive dads (and kids) enjoy the pool table and games of table tennis in the barn. There is also a safe play area for the younger children which is always popular. What sets La Boulinerie apart from similar properties is the host family who do everything possible to ensure your holiday is special. Meals were cooked for our arrival, gifts of home made apricot jam appeared, honest advice is given on the region and generally, nothing is too much trouble. The hosts' children are also a joy to be around and genuinely enjoy entertaining the numerous children that will be on site in the summer months. The highlight of the holiday for me is the weekly feast in the courtyard where the hosts show off their considerable gastronomic skills to feed all of the families staying at the complex. A great, informal way to meet other holidaymakers and taste exceptional local produce.Rated 5 out of 5, Steve, Jul 2013.
- This was our second trip to La Boulinerie, and we booked for the third year as we left! A small array of gites, in a quiet village away from busy roads, acres of land with a play area, games barn, boules area, large pool and fantastic hosts who strike the perfect balance between leaving you to your own devices and ensuring that you have the best time possible both on and off the site. It says a lot that nearly every family staying at the same time as us were repeat bookers, book early! Both years we have stayed in Le Recoin Gite, which has a double room, and a small twin bunk bed room for the kids (11&14). Outside the gite is a picnic style table where we ate virtually every meal, many cooked on the provided bbq. Nikki and Jonathan (and their family) live off site, but are regularly available to help and advise, and of course to greet you on arrival. Two evenings a week you can join the rest of the guests for a meal in the courtyard, either a bbq on Friday (perfect if you are leaving on the Saturday and don't want the hassle of cooking) or the Soirees sur la cour on a Tuesday where Jonathan, Nikki and family cook up some fine fare and scrumptious desserts. Again it speaks volumes that every family on site attends Off site, bakeries are within 5mins drive and a 10 min drive gets you to Lucon with its a large Leclerc supermarket and twice weekly market. Excellent beaches within 40mins drive, our favourite being Les Conches. Ile de Re and La Rochelle are a bit further away, but well worth a visit. Boats, bikes and picturesque walk options abound in the Marais Poitevin and le Foret de Mervin not to mention the Indian Forest which has zip wires for all levels of ability and bravery, and is a huge hit with the kids. All this and much more to keep you busy, and Nikki and Jonathan will be on hand to point you in the right direction if you are not sure about anything or need a guiding light. In summary the perfect place for a family holiday in the glorious climate of the vendee, we can't wait for our next visit. Rated 5 out of 5, Phil & Helen, Aug 2012.
- We rarely go back to the same place twice for our holiday but this was the second time we visited La Boulinerie and we are already booked to go back again in 2013. Both us and our children love it. I think the best thing is the hospitality of the owners who, though not living on site, pop by most days and host two evening meals where holiday makers all get together, bring their own wine and share the most amazingly cooked food under the French stars. It's not obligatory, but you'd be mad to miss a multiple course gourmet meal at Â£10 a head. The children have loads of freedom here with loads of space in the massive field to run around and let off steam with all of their new found friends. The grown up kids of the hosts, The Rowe family, also seem to have boundless energy entertaining all the children whilst the grown ups sit around and swap stories over a glass of wine, It's also really well located in that there are lovely beaches within half an hour, the lovely little Venice barges, the Indian forest (high ropes and other adrenalin filled activity) and lots of lovely villages to explore and immerse yourself in.....including nearby Lucon. Often though the kids would be asking to just have a day in the lovely pool, playing with the other kids on the playground or in the fields. This is one of the few places where I have been that it is safe and friendly enough for children to be let loose to make their own entertainment the way I remember doing when I was young. You feel freed from the pressure or guilt of having to provide stimulation at all times for your kids.....in short everyone seems to get a memorable and rejuvenating holiday. Rating 5 out of 5, Dominic, Aug 2012.
- We have stayed at La Boulinerie twice and are looking forward to returning in 2013. Jonathan, Nicky and their family are incredibly welcoming and thoughtful. Simple things like offering a meal ready for you to heat up on arrival are very welcome after a long drive. The gites are in beautiful countryside with family friendly beaches a short drive away. Highly recommended. Rating 5 out of 5, Lydia, Aug 2012
- Nicky & Jonathan were wonderful hosts at their lovely gite complex they are very knowledgeable about the area, and can advise on places to see & things to do. Our gite was set in beautiful grounds, secluded enough to feel tranquil, but with onsite swimming pool & activities to keep all amused. Lovely part of France, in the countryside, but near enough to visit the beach too. A relaxing place to unwind. Fantastic weather in this micro-climate of France. Recommended. Rating 5 out of 5, Julie, Aug 2012.
- Now that life has calmed down a little post holiday, I wanted to put down a few words about our wonderful holiday at La Boulinerie. We had, quite simply, the most fabulous family holiday ever. The accomodation was lovely. Traditional French with a few modern twists. We could relax knowing that our kids would not knock over any fussy nick-nacks whilst enjoying a wel furnished kitchen. I usually find I am missing something in the coking utensil department, not this time. Twice a week we were treated to a meal cooked by our wonderful hosts and there was food provided for us on arrival. It was a jot to eat lovingly prepared food with the families from the other gites. Our children loved those evenings as they would eat then run off to the family park to play and still be in view of the adults. In fact, the children loved everything about the property. The pool, the park and the fields all gave a great sense of freedom that being in such a secure, happy environment brings. The nearby beaches are beautiful and the village of Chevrette is ideally placed for many, varied day trips. The real beauty of La Boulinerie lies with the owners who have created a truly relaxing place for a family holiday. Nicky, Jonathan and their wonderful children all muck in to look after you, cook for you, advise you and entertain your kids. All in an unobtrusive and genuinely kind manner. We loved La Boulinerie and will most definitely be back. Rating 5 out of 5, Carole, Jul 2012
- We had a fantastic two week holiday in the rustic charms of La Boulinerie in this tranquil rural part of France. The owners Nicky and Jonathan were extremely welcoming and helpful and their children were a big hit with ours, thanks to their warmth, charm and boundless energy. Happy children equals happy parents and our two boys (7 and 5) loved playing with the other children, splashing in the pool and exploring the fields that surround the property. Thanks to a couple of lovely communal evening meals and a morning kids club the Rowe's have created a friendly relaxed atmosphere with the perfect balance of privacy and fun. Rating 4.5 out of 5, Amel, Aug 2012
- We spent a wonderful two weeks at La Boulinerie in July 2012, the most welcoming hosts you could imagine with lots of information and good ideas for things to do and places to see. The gites were delightful and well stocked. Lots of space on the property to run around, play football and fly kites. The pool was a particular hit with everyone. As we were driving away our 9 year old stated 'we are going back there again next year aren't we?' Rating 4 out of 5, Emma, Jul 2012.
- We had such a lovely holiday this Summer at La Boulinerie! The Rowe family gave us a very warm welcome and we loved the evenings they did the cooking for us. The kids loved meeting new friends and there was plenty to do in the local area. If we'll make it back to this area, we would love to visit again! Rating 5 out of 5, Frida, Aug 2011.
- Nicky, Jonathan and their children were hugely welcoming, and amazing hosts. They had lots of ideas on 'what to do', ran wonderful social evenings, cooked great birthday cakes and generally provided an excellent service. The gite was comfortable, with a lovely pool and huge garden for cricket, badmington etc. . Conveniently located half an hour from the beach, with good local martkets etc. Would definately recommend this great holiday location. Rating 5 out of 5, Charlotte & John, Aug 2011
- Le Recoin: Nicky and Jonathan are the most fantastic hosts at La Boulinerie and create a wonderful atmosphere. Our children loved meeting new friends at the kids club, splashing around in the pool or playing and collecting fruit in the huge gardens. The property is in a quiet area with lots of places to visit including the beautiful beaches about half an hour away. I would highly recommend a holiday at La Boulinerie. Rating 4 out of 5, Andy, Aug 2011.
- The most friendly welcoming hosts I have ever encountered on holiday. The accommodation was lovely, clean and well equipped. The children had a great time, pool, room to roam safely and the kids club. We really enjoyed the communal evenings, great food and very sociable. Thank you Jonathon and Nicky. Rating 5 out of 5, Gillian, Aug 2011.
- A great place for a family holiday - a really warm welcome awaits and the setting is perfect. The pool was used by all the family and the accommodation is comfy. Delicious food is cooked when requested and also on a couple of evenings every week. Local beaches are easily reached and there are several good walks close by. Rating 5 out of 5, Caroline, Sept 2010.
- This year was the 7th time we have been back to La Boulinerie and every time we have the same fantastic welcome from all of the Rowe family. We have stayed in all of the properties at La Boulinerie - all of which are very well equipped and very clean. We have 2 children (7 and 10) and they love the pool,playground and the freedom they have with all of the space to play in. The party night is a great evening giving the adults chance to socialise and it is the perfect opportunity for children to play with their new friends in a very safe environment. The food is excellent, either BBQ or paella with numerous starters and always a choice of puddings. The Friday night BBQ is also superb, and we found it really helped this year not having to cook when we had packed ready to leave. La Boulinerie is a very relaxing and peaceful place to stay but it is close enough to supermarkets and La Rochelle is only a short drive away, as are the fabulous beaches that the Vendee has to offer. Our particular favourite being Les Conches.We can't recommend La Boulinerie highly enough and have already organised our dates for next year! To quote our 10 year old son "La Boulinerie is awesome and Tuesday party night is the best - especially the brownies!". Rating 5 out of 5, Sue & Chris, Aug 2010.
- La Boulinerie is very family friendly. We spent a week there 7-14 August 2010. There are 5 gites, so lots of other children to play with. Our 3 girls (9,7 and 6) had a great time. The owners and their 5 children are very welcoming and organise a couple of evening events to get everyone talking. Worked really well, very informal. Lots of room for the kids to have freedom - they were all in and out of each others' gites. It really is only 30 minutes to lots of lovely beaches and to La Rochelle. Les Boulins very spacious. Bedrooms lovely, all en suite. Rating 4.5 out of 5, The Woolmer Family, Aug 2010.
- A lovely peaceful area and a relaxing holiday. Very attractive, comfortable accommodation with all the facilities you need and a great pool. Only about 30 minutes from fabulous beaches and towns. A great, safe place for the children to run wild and really enjoy themselves! Nicky, Jonathan and their family are fantastic hosts, really welcoming, friendly and fun. Great food too at their weekly barbecues. Rating 5 out of 5, Lis, Aug 2010.
- Nicky and Jonathan were genuine, friendly and welcoming hosts, the property was comfy and inviting in a lovely setting and fantastic pool great for the kids, would recommend to anyone from couples to larger groups, easy access to larger towns and attractions. Rating 5 out of 5, Paul, Aug 2010.
- The property is well equipped even down to tea towels. Just have to remember to bring towels. Jonathan and Nicky are very friendly and if we needed anything, we just had to ask. They also knew what places were good to visit so that saved us a lot of planning time. We loved the old French homely feel to La Boulinerie, especially eating the lovely local cuisine and drinking wine outside. Our children commented on the holiday saying it was their best one so far. They loved the pool and the freedom. Their ages 13, 11, 5 & 3. Rating 5 out of 5, Louisa, Nov 2009.
- Ideally situated for a peaceful holiday, in a sleepy village yet within easy driving distance of major supermarkets, and other commercial and cultural attractions. The property is extremely well equipped, tastefully furnished and impeccably clean. The hosts are most welcoming, thoughtful and considerate. Rating 5 out of 5. Dinah, Sept 2009.
- We have stayed there 3 times now. A little removed from the coast which is great as it's also a little removed from the masses of tourists. Within easy reach though, to take advantage of the well loved beaches. The area has plenty to do for all ages, and also is within easy reach of the channel ports, the closest (St Malo) being an easy 4 hours drive time. Property is ideal for families with a good hectare or two for kids to play around in. Hosts always welcoming and the properties are very clean. Rating 5 out of 5. Nick & Jo, Sept 2009.
- Fantastic location for exploring the Vendee - plus within very easy reach of 3 airports. Lovely setting with excellent facilities, especially the pool which is most welcome for a dip at the end of a hot day's exploring! Great place to visit beaches, historic towns and the brilliant Puy du Fou theme park - can't recommend highly enough. The owners Johnathan and Nicky are so welcoming and nothing is too much trouble. Our cottage - Le Jardin Clos was very cosy but spacious and had everything we needed. Great place for a relaxing holiday. Rating 5 out of 5, Viv Sept 2009.
- The great atmosphere and spirit created by the owners, lovely grounds and great facilities (especially for young families), and proximity to fabulous beaches. Rating 5 out of 5, Patrick Oct 2009
Holiday Cottage Accommodation Summary (FR042) (click here for map)
|Sleeps||Bedrooms||Bathrooms||Pets||RFH rating||Other facilities||Price Guide|
2 to 5
1 to 5
|Click to visit owner's website for more info, availability & online booking||Jonathan & Nicky on 00 33 251 278732, please mention RFH||Email owner by clicking on icon|
Contact the owner directly via the form or click to book online
click link below for more information & availability
Make an enquiry DIRECT to the owner of these holiday cottages.