logis la cabane, breville, cognac, charente maritime, sw france
- A wonderful old farmhouse, dating from the 17th century, set in two acres of gardens, meadow and orchard. Surrounded by vines and sunflowers, at Logis La Cabane we have three comfortable gites providing accomodation for between two and five people. Each gite has it's own character and they are on three different sides of our gardened courtyard. Living in the main house with our family we are usually available if you should need us. We are situated on the border of the Charente Maritime (17) and Charente (16) departements, is only 4 to 5 hours drive from the Channel ports, just over an hour from the La Rochelle air port and an hour and a half from Bordeaux.
- Only 10 minutes from historic Cognac with it's cobbled streets, pavement cafes, shops gardens, cognac houses to visit and numerous festivals throughout the year. We are also close to wonderful La Rochelle, the beautiful romanesque small city of Saintes, mediaeval St Jean D'Angely, Angouleme, Royan, La Palmyre and much much more. Amazing sandy Atlantic beaches are an easy 40 minute drive away and then there is also the Lazy River Charente and nearby lakes for canoeing, fishing and wind surfing.
- Children are well catered for including a 10x5 metre heated pool, a toddlers paddling pool, a sandpit and a selection of toys. We also have table tennis, french boules, an area in the meadow for playing football, swings and slide plus bikes to borrow free of charge. For those who really can't or don't wish to escape the buzz of everyday life completely, we do have a free, accessible WI FI connection and there is freesat UK TV in all three holiday gites.
- La Scorciere: sleeps up to five (4 + baby or small child) in two upstairs bedrooms. It has creamy exposed stone walls, old beams and a traditional Charentaise stone fireplace with an efficient wood burning stove for cooler months. Very comfortable and fully equipped with TV/DVD, garden furniture,barbecue, fridge, cooker, microwave etc... plus a utility room with washing machine.
- La Libellule: is very spacious and south facing. Sleeping 5, the 2 upstairs bedrooms a really good size ( huge parents room with amazing old beams, with king size bed, 3 bedded children's room with plenty of space add a cot if needed and there is also an extra upstairs WC/washbasin. Downstairs there is a good sized bathroom with a large walk in wet room type shower and a kitchen with access to the garden, dishwasher, full sized cooker, microwave, fridge freezer etc. The main living room has a dining area and a sitting area with sofa, TV ( uk freeview channels including cbeebies and music system. There is also another door to the garden.
- Le Figuier: at the far end of the courtyard, with windows on both sides, we have used calm neutral colours that reflect the wonderful light and space of this gite. Sleeping up to 5 plus a baby comfortably in two bedrooms, Le Figuier is very well equipped with dishwasher,washing machine, fridge freezer and microwave plus all the little things like toaster, coffee maker etc. There is also TV/DVD and music centre with CD,radio and MP3.
- Please send us a review of this self catering holiday cottage near Cognac by clicking: "Make a Family Holiday Recommendation".
- 16 family holiday recommendations, average rating 4.9 out of 5
Best rating: 5 out of 5
Worst rating 4.5 out of 5
- I don't normally write reviews but this deserves it. The hosts are great and our accomodation was fab. There's loads of room for our toddler to motor around and the place is so relaxing. We're going back no question. Rating 5 out of 5, Dom, reviewed Nov 2014
- Is it an oasis of peace and calm, where all the family can have fun and relax. It is exactly as you hope it will be from the pictures– but better! Philip and Heather have thought of everything. Rating 5 out of 5, Hetty, Aug 2012
- Exceptional. What a wonderful place for everyone, where chilidren can experience some freedom and enjoy everything the out doors has to offer. Our son is only 11 months but we could have turned up with a back pack as Philip and Heather have thought of eveything. Toys, stair gates, cot, linen etc etc. The pool is beautiful, spot less and gated. The Gite is equiped with every thing, again spotless and open plan so our son loved crawling everywhere. A truely magical place, i can not reccommend more highly. Rating 5 out of 5, Emma, May 2012.
- La Sorciere: Ideal spot for a relaxing holiday for a small family. The setting is beautifully "rustic French", great character and historical feel in the buildings. Our gite was finished to a very high standard and Heather and Philip have provided absolutely everything a family could want - even down to a collection of toys and games which were a huge hit with our two children (boy 5 and girl 3). The pool is ideal and totally secure with a locked gate (also spotlessly clean at all times). The outdoor playground area and range of equipment were also great for the kids. We also made great use of the bikes (with carrier seats for our two children) that were available free of charge - the property is surrounded by beautiful scenery and quiet country roads - lots of plant and wildlife for nature lovers. Daily vist of the baker's van was a huge plus. The town of Cognac was only a 15 minute drive (with all the shops and restuarants you could need - including hypermarkets) and other smaller towns with bars / restaurants only a short drive away. Minor quibbles: bathroom downstairs could be inconvenient for small children particularly at night time; the absence of a cafe / bar / restaurant within walking distance. Rating 4 out of 5, Pearse & Lisa, Jul 2011. Owner's note: Thank you for your lovely feedback. Ideally we would have an ensuite upstairs, although some families prefer a downstairs toilet. Our other two properties have the bathroom on the same floor as the bedrooms. The bar/resto in Breville is 1km away and therefore may be within an acceptable walking distance for some people. Reasons why I would recommend Cognac Self Catering: Calm relaxed atmosphere with plenty to do and lots of toys, bikes and things to entertain the children; The pool is just the right size and a real suntrap; The Gites are well maintained, comfortable, light and airy; Nothing is too much trouble for Heather and Phillip and they make you feel very welcome; Only 10 minutes outside of Cognac town with easy access you get the best of both worlds, city visits with relaxing country side. Rating 5 out of 5, Mary Jane, received Jun 2011.
- Cognac Self Catering was perfect for our first holiday abroad with our 18 month old son, (and it really does look like the photos on the website!). There was so much to keep him, and us, busy - swings, slides, trampoline (great for adults too), tractors, bikes, sandpits, and lots of space to run around and play safely, as well as a beautiful and secure pool to relax by and play in. However, Ella the very friendly and calm dog was the highlight of our sons trip. The accommodation was well equipped and comfortable and despite the other gites and house on site, it was still very private. We normally spend our holidays site-seeing, but were very content to spend most of our stay around La Cabane, and despite having a toddler in tow found this to be the most relaxing trip we have had for years. We definitely hope to be back. Rating 4.5 out of 5, Josephine, Oct 2010.
- It is in the middle of a lovely hamlet with nothing but vines and Sunflowers in the fields around. Very accessible to Cognac which is a lovely town, not too busy with a lovely park for children.Our gite was perfect all the mod cons but with an authentic French feel to it, plenty of crockery and delph even lunch boxes for picnics which we found very handy. There are lots of distractions for kids, pool, trampoline, football, badminton, bicycles, table tennis and for younger children wendy house, slide, swings and most important Ella the dog who is the best behaved dog we have ever seen and was adored by all children even those who came with a fear of dogs. A van came every morning with fresh bread and pain de chocolate. There was a great selection of bicycles for all sizes and we took these on many trips the area is great for cycling at any level, reasonably flat lots of villages and and river pathways we would recommend cycling into cognac and from there taking the path along by the Charante river to Jarnac a great day our our boys are 9 and 12 and managed it no problem. Heather and Philip are lovely hosts and made us most welcome.We loved La Cabane and would recommend it to anyone. Rating 4.9 out of 5, Mairead, Aug 2010.
- We have had a wonderful two week holiday at Logis La Cabane and cannot recommend them enough. We stayed in Le Figuier, the largest of the three properties and we couldn't have asked for anything more. The two bedrooms were large and spacious and the downstairs living space worked really well. The french windows open out onto the meadow where there are swings, slides, a trampoline, wooden wendy house and a large football pitch. Plenty of other outdoor toys meant it was very easy to entertain our little one! Each gite has its own outdoor eating area so you have some privacy but if you want to be sociable, you can. The pool area is also worth a mention - it's very well maintained (and clean!), it's very safe with two locks to get into it and there are shallow steps down into the pool - ideal for young children. Nothing is too much trouble for the hosts, Heather and Philip, and they recommended some lovely restaurants to us too! All in all, we found it the perfect, get away from it all, relaxing holiday and would highly recommend it. Rating 5 out of 5, The Lloyd family, July 2010.
- We stayed in La Sorciere, which was the perfect size for my husband, son (9) and baby daughter (1). The property is set in beautiful grounds, with so much for the kids to do. The meadow, table tennis, trampoline and pool kept the kids occupied, and they both loved being close to all the wildlife - from Ella the dog, the guinea-pig, the doves, swallows, frogs, swallows, insects etc. Although there are a couple of other properties on the site, it still felt very private and peaceful, and Heather and Phillip are on hand if you need them. A van from the local boulangerie visits each morning, which we loved as we could relax in the mornings without having to go out for fresh bread. For mum and dad, the property had everything we needed and we especially appreciated how the kids were catered for - with the highchair, kids plates, cot, stair gate and toys. We moved on to another area in France for our second week, but longed to be back at Logis La Cabane! I would definitely recommend this property, and hope to be back some time in the future. Rating 5 out of 5, Claire, July 2010.
- This is an ideal place to stay for a restful holiday with young children. The setting is beautiful and very peaceful with friendly, welcoming hosts and lots of things on hand to keep younger children happy. Rating 5 out of 5, the Duffy Family, Mar 2010.
- We spent 2 weeks in La Figuier gite and had the most lovely time. The layout of the gites, surrounding the courtyard, is perfect meaning you have your privacy but neighbours close enough if you want to chat. The new pool was a favourite with our two daughters, it made it difficult to tempt them out for excursions. To the front of the property the doors open onto a meadow with fruit trees, a safe haven for children of all ages. It is well laid out and has many children's toys, parents can relax at the table or benches and enjoy the children playing in a safe environment. Our gite was well equipped and very comfortable. Our hosts just perfect, thank you Heather and Phillip for a beautiful haven and a wonderful holiday, we will return. Rating 5 out of 5, Moira, Feb 2010.
- Fantastic pool area. Very helpful friendly owners. First rate accommodation. Peaceful location away from traffic and noise. Excellent for families with play area in the orchard and toys and bikes available to use. We would thoroughly recommend Logis La Cabane. Rating 5 out of 5, Mark & Dawn, Feb 2010.
- The accomodation is to the highest standard and is both clean and comfortable. The added bonus is that all family needs are considered and addressed down to games for all ages, stair gates, cots and highchairs.Each accomodation area has its own privacy created by well maintained and established gardens so you really feel that you can get away if you want to. The owners are friendly and helpful and nothing is a problem. You are welcomed into their family when you want to be and left to enjoy your holiday in freedom. The gardens include outside toys for the children including bikes, trampoline and swings. I would recommend resting on the trampoline at night to star gaze as I have never had such a clear view. The pool area is very well maintained and is a safe area for young families as it is well enclosed and alarmed. I was on holiday with my young family (7 years and baby of 5 months) we all enjoyed ourselves and I felt completely relaxed. Rating 5 out of 5 - I can't wait to go back and have told all my family and friends, Katherine, Feb 2010.
- Beautiful, relaxing and remote setting. The gites are well equipped, clean and tastefully decorated. The atmosphere around the property is friendly and helpful. Very well equipped for families and children. Within the grounds are numerous forms of entertainment for the children. Good bikes for free use, trampoline, play equipment, games barn, football pitch, sandpit etc. Safe and easy for toddlers as everything is close by. Lots of space for running around and games in the garden. Le Figure gite has doors that open directly onto garden. Pool clean and warm. Hosts very friendly. The place has a genuine French feel and it is small enough to maintain a cosy, intimate atmosphere but still offer numerous forms of activities. Supermarkets etc all within an easy drive. Definitely rated 5 out of 5, Tara, stayed for one week August 2009. Family of 5 boys aged 6 and 8 and little girl aged 18 months, Jan 2010.
- The properties, location, garden, toys, swimming pool, and trampoline make this a fantastically relaxing holiday. The owners have thought of everything, stair gates, step in the shower room, potty, toys, bikes, plastic plates, glasses, tupperware boxes in a well supplied kitchen so you can make sandwiches for days out/store left overs, everything you'd want to make life easy - who wants to be stressed while on holiday ? And you couldn't ask for more helpful owners. Plus the wonderful Ella. We're going back next year - doesn't that tell you something ? Rating 5 out of 5, Pamela, Jan 2010.
- Excellent facilities for children and friendly owners and within easy reach of lots of activities. Rating 5 out of 5, Kal, Jan 2010.
Holiday Cottage Accommodation Summary (FR136) (click here for map)
|Sleeps||Bedrooms||Bathrooms||Pets||RFH rating||Other facilities||Price Guide|
up to 5 each
1 to 2
|Click to visit owner's website for more info, availability & online booking||Heather on 0033 516 75 0472, please mention RFH||Email owner by clicking on icon|
The accommodation available is as follows:
Contact the owner directly via the form or click to book online
For up to date holiday availability, please click link below
Make an enquiry DIRECT to the owner of these holiday cottages.
|use arrows to check months, shaded red shows holiday cottages already booked|
|La Scorciere Gite (sleeps 5 + cot)||La Libellule Gite (sleeps 5 + cot)||Le Figuier Gite (sleeps 5 + cot)|