Heated outdoor swimming pools at La Garenne
Gites at La Garenne
Cool, Shaded terrace area
Indoor soft play area
Outdoor, enclosed play area
La Pressoir - mezzanine lounge
Le Pressoir kitchen
La Belle Maison kitchen
La Belle Maison bedroom
La Grange lounge
La Grange bedroom
La Rosier lounge diner
La Rosier bedroom
Le Jardin garden
Le Jardin lounge diner
Le Jardin bedroom
La Maison Blanche
La Maison Blanche bedroom
La Garenne kids club
Enjoy getting together at our weekly BBQ
French life at La Garenne gites
la garenne, near aulnay, poitou charentes, south west france
- STOP PRESS: Our new pool area with a slightly larger main pool & a permanent toddlers pool, both fully heated and a contemporary seating with shaded under terrace area are now OPEN. As is our NEW small indoor play barn with soft toys and floor mats mainly for the 1 – 5 year olds. Everything is already proving to be very popular with our guests of all ages!
- La Garenne is situated within a walled garden with beautiful rural views in a typically French farming hamlet. The six 2-3 bedroom gites surround a large enclosed heated swimming pool and heated toddler pool. There are lots of activities including a trampoline, a climbing frame, swings, tree ropes, wooden playhouse in the garden and even a hollow tree for hiding. All the gites face the play area, and have been tastefully restored to maintain their charming French character.
- The gites contain a dishwasher, microwave, coffee machine, cooker, TV with satellite and a DVD player. There is a communal linen room with washing machines to be used free of charge. All the gites benefit from a large terrace area for outdoor living and relaxation. Some gites even have two terraces, offering private gardens at the back or side of the longere, with beautiful views to open farmland. Other family-friendly facilities include babysitting/kids club, welcome BBQ, home made French cuisine meal delivery, grocery delivery.
- La Belle Maison (3 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms): La belle maison is the newest edition to our gites and has been renovated to a very high standard. This stylish gite has gone through complete renovation and offers 3 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms and a large open plan kitchen/dining area.. La Maison belle is at the end of the 16th Century Longere, and benefits from two outdoor spaces, one is to the back of the property with a spacious and charming summer kitchen with fabulous open countryside views, the other is at the front with a private patio & seating area overlooking the communal garden, play area and swimming pool. There is a new and well equipped kitchen with all the mod cons you should need while on holiday. Charming beams have been exposed as well as the beautiful Charentaise stone walls. The lounge area has comfy sofas and a flat screen TV and French doors lead out to the front garden and the other end of the kitchen area with double French doors takes you to the outdoor summer kitchen with BBQ. Downstairs there is also a new and modern shower room with toilet. A charming oak staircase leads to the first floor with 3 bedrooms and a large family bath room. The master bedroom has a large king size bed and plenty of space for a cot. The second bedroom has either twin beds or a kingsize depending on your requirements and the third bedroom has 2 single beds - great for the children.
- Le Pressoir (3 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms): French doors lead from a front garden with barbecue into a charming large and new fully-fitted kitchen and dining area with wood burning stove, upstairs on the mezzanine level is the lounge with a “Romeo and Juliet” style balcony overlooking the garden & pool. There is a separate, private outdoor dining area to the rear of the gite. A tiled staircase leads from the first floor to a large, attractive mezzanine lounge with comfortable sofa, chairs and flat screen TV and DVD player. From the lounge a long corridor leads to three large bedrooms and the main bathroom with bath and shower. There is a king size bedroom, a double bedroom with small en suite and a further bedroom with 2 single beds - a further Z bed can be added if needed.
- Le Jardin (2 bedrooms, sleeps 4): You enter your gite under a charming archway, wild flower garden, BBQ and private patio area. French doors lead into an open plan living/dining/kitchen area with exposed Charentaise stone walls and beams. There is a new fully fitted kitchen, cooker and dishwasher. This gite benefits from a second garden out from the kitchen that is totally private and has views across the sunflower fields and open countryside. There are two bedrooms, one double and one with bunk beds. Finally there is a large quality family bathroom with a roll top bath and modern "rain effect" shower.
- La Grange (2 bedrooms): Situated on the end of the longere, La Grange benefits from two outdoor areas - one at the front of the gite overlooking the pool and communal garden and the second is more private, tucked away to the side with BBQ. You enter the gite via large French doors into the large open plan living/kitchen/dining area with a beautiful round charentaise stonewall and oak beams. The kitchen is well equipped including a dishwasher, cooker, fridge/freezer and microwave. The bedrooms upstairs are reached by a traditional spindle staircase. There is a large main bedroom with direct access to the large family shower room (also separate access from the landing). The second bedroom has bunk beds, perfect for the children.
- La Rosier (2 bedrooms, sleeps 5): is the largest of our two bedroom gites with a large terrace at the front. You enter the gite via large French doors into the charming open plan living/dining/kitchen area. This spacious room, complete with large oak beams and charentaise stonewalls, takes up most of the ground floor of the gite, although there is a handy ground floor shower room and toilet. The kitchen is also well equipped including microwave, cooker/hob, fridge/freezer and dishwasher. Upstairs there is a large family bathroom and two bedrooms under the beamed A-frame ceilings. The spacious master bedroom is decorated with beautiful, restored french furniture with views to the garden and pool. A second, even larger bedroom is ideal for the rest of the family with two large sleigh beds. A Z bed can be added if needed to accommodate another person.
- La Maison Blanche (2 bedrooms, sleeps 4): Recently renovated, there are 2 bedrooms, one with bunk beds and a charming master bedroom. There is a large, light & airy open plan kitchen/living area that will be equipped with all the mod cons. The family bathroom has a free standing bath & a separate "rain effect" shower. Outside there is a patio area with garden furniture and a BBQ. Situated on the opposite side of the garden to the longere, Maison Blanche offers a little more privacy than the other gites.
- Please send us a review of these self catering gites in south west France by clicking: "Make a Family Holiday Recommendation".
- 42 family holiday recommendation, average rating 4.8 out of 5
Best rating: 5 out of 5
Worst rating 4 out of 5
- As a family we enjoy visiting different places from one year to the next. We have not visited a place in two successive years previously. However we enjoyed our stay at La Garenne so much in 2012 that we thought we must stay there again this year. We stayed in July 2012 for two weeks and had glorious weather occasion interrupted by watching parts of the Olympics taking place in the UK. This year we again had glorious weather for the full two weeks in August. Our hosts Dorte and Richard our lovely people. They live on site and are always available if you need help or are looking for ideas for things to do on a particular day or you just fancy a chat about life in France. There are so many great things do in that part of France, lovely towns to visit, lazy canoe trips down the river, tennis, amazing swimming complexes etc. The gites surround a large garden. You quickly realise that the other families are very friendly and that the children play and form friendships. People look out for each other and each otherâ€™s children. This allows parents to relax and enjoy the peaceful surroundings, only having to keep one eye on the kids instead of two. The gites themselves are generously sized and finished to a high standard, each with its unique style and layout. They are well equipped and very comfortable to stay in. We would heartily recommend La Garenne to people with similar interest. Rating 5 out of 5, Andrea, Duncan and Daniel (aged 7), Aug 2013.
- We have just returned from a stay at La Garenne and it was everything I hoped it would be. We have a 3 yo and an 8 mo and were looking for somewhere to relax where our 3 yo could have some friends to play with and where we would have some grown ups to chat to. Our DD1 was able to go out to play in the garden freely, it is gated and they are perfectly safe. The trampoline is in the front garden and it looked new. It is not fenced but I would need to watch her on it anyway. She did of course play on it while other parents were watching so I didn't need to be with her constantly. However you could sit on the chairs there and have a beer and a chat with the other parents so it wasn't a chore. We stayed in Jardin, a two bed all on one level gite, which was nicely decorated, with a super shower, large bath and plenty of hot water. Fridge was a bit small but we had everything we needed. Our neighbours did buy a potato masher, we managed without one. The pool is heated and cleaned everyday. It was a bit chilly as they haven't had the normal weather there this year. But once in, it was fine. The toddler pool was lovely and warm. Our DD1 did the kids club which was a nice break for us and she have a lovely time. She also did the ceramic painting which is cute if a bit of a mess. We got the arrival meal which was lovely and plentiful, fed the girls it the next day too. The BBQ was really nice but we didn't get the food delivery as I don't eat meat and it chicken. However, those that did said it was delicious. Dorte and Richard have created a lovely friendly atmosphere where grown-ups spent the evenings drinking wine in each others gites or patios which meant I had a nose around each one. Two haven't been renovated but they are perfectly nice and I would recommend staying in Maison Belle which is huge. La Grange has a spiral staircase so I would avoid it if you have to carry children up and down. Would be better if you could walk to the village for bread and supplies but it's an easy drive and the supermarket is large. Would definitely recommend if you have little children 8 and under. Rating 5 out of 5, Natalie, reviewed Jul 2013.
- There simply could not be a better place to relax on holiday with your children than at La Garenne. Dorte & Richard are the perfect hosts and have a wonderful plot filled with elegantly rustic gites, great play equipment for the children, all set in very safe surroundings. Their accommodation is well placed to either relax and enjoy the facilities or to venture out and visit nearby beaches, zoos, historic and picturesque villages, towns & islands. A week was simply not long enough!! Rating 5 out of 5, Sam, Jul 2013.
- We had a fantastic holiday in La Garenne. Dorte and Richard made us feel very welcome and it was really like a home from home but in a beautiful location with stunning views of the local French countryside. Our gite was very rustic but had all the facilities we needed to enjoy a brilliant holiday. My kids (aged 10, 8 and 5) loved La Garenne, they made some good friends and enjoyed the full use of the gardens to play football, table tennis, play on the swings and in the swimming pool and the fact my husband and I could sit outside our gite and watch them was terrific. As La Garenne is off the main road, it is really safe and the children could play without us having to worry that they were in any danger. The introductory barbeque was a great way to get to know the other families staying at La Garenne and the kids club is a must to take some time out as parents and explore the surrounding area. Rating 5 out of 5, Anna-Marie, Jun 2013
- We have 2 children (5yrs and 2yrs) and we spent a lovely week in La Grange gite at La Garenne in July 2012. We were looking for a holiday in which the children would be happy and safe and also somewhere we could relax so we spent a lot of time researching options. La Garenne seemed like the perfect place and I was very keen (and quite anxious) to see if the holiday would meet our high expectations. I am delighted to say that it certainly met all our expectations! Communication during research, booking and on arrival with Dorte was very good â€" always on hand to answer queries and help with any local information we required to make our stay most enjoyable. On arrival we were slightly early, so spent the time, in the middle of sunflower fields and vineyards, exploring the gardens and stretching our legs from the car journey. Our children were immediately at ease at the setting which put our minds at rest. Our gite was perfect, spacious, clean and comfortable. The local supermarket is 10mins drive and has everything you need. We took advantage of Dorte's homemade cooking one evening and had a beautiful meal when the children were safely in bed after another fun-filled day. We also attended the welcome BBQ to meet the other families staying at La Garenne which was a lovely evening and the children enjoyed painting pottery one afternoon in the garden. There are many places to see around the area but it is equally relaxing to stay at La Garenne while the children play in the garden or splash around in the pool. All in all a great holiday where Dorte and Richard both made us feel very welcome and most importantly of all for us, we had a relaxing time - something we never thought possible with 2 young children on holiday! We are definitely hoping to book to go back again next summer, I would highly recommend La Garenne to any family. Rating 5 out of 5, Amy, Jul 2012
- It is with great pleasure that we are reviewing La Garenne! We stayed in Maison Blanche at La Garenne for a week in June 2012 and had a fantastic holiday with our 2 children (ages 3 and 5). We were looking for a holiday where we could relax, enjoy the place, do sport and, most importantly, the kids could enjoy and be safe (which, after all, is what we all look for to be relaxed, while on holiday). We had no knowledge of the area and it was our first time at La Garenne and we can certainly say that it is really the perfect place for a family. It met all our (high) expectations! La Garenne is composed of several marvelous gites, and each of them has everything you need to enjoy your holiday, including a fantastic patio overlooking the common enclosed garden (Dorte takes care of it perfectly, and we would never forget the amazing lavender just in front of our gite!). The garden was really the perfect place for the children, but also for us as it is very safe. From wherever we were - either inside the gite or in the patio - we could always see them playing so we were completely relaxed! In the garden there is a swimming pool - very clean and always perfectly maintained by Richard - which was obviously great for our kids! The common garden makes La Garenne also perfect to meet the other families - we passed a very lovely evening all together enjoying the marvelous bbqâ€™s put on by Richard and Dorte - and also our kids were very happy to play with other children. As the local (and big) supermarket is 5/10 minutes drive from La Garenne, we made our lunch/dinner in our gite and enjoyed it in the patio! In addition, Dorteâ€™s homemade cooking was just amazing and we had a few delicious meals two evenings (we strongly recommend to try her meals!). Our gite (Maison Blanche) was excellent: very clean, spacious, and comfortable and had all we were looking for in a family holiday. It had two bedrooms, two bathrooms, a living room and a kitchen. We particularly enjoyed having breakfast in the patio! There are plenty of things to do around the area (including running, cycling, swimming and canoeing in the river) and we did a few interesting trips. All of the above was more than enough to make our holiday perfect. But, we cannot finish our review without spending a few words about Dorte and Richard, who take care of anything at La Garenne impeccably. They were always friendly with us (and, importantly, with our kids as well) and helped us since the booking and during our stay with anything we needed â€¦ they really made our holiday perfect! We had a fantastic holiday and we can certainly say that it was the most relaxing holiday we had ever made with our kids. We strongly recommend La Garenne to any family that wants to have a relaxing time (even with kids on holiday). We have already booked our reservation for next summer and we - and our kids - are very much looking forward to come back and meet again Dorte and Richard! Rating 5 out of 5, Marco and Sara, Jun 2012
- Our family had a wonderful holiday at La Garenne. Our children, a six-year old boy and a three-year old girl, just loved the family set up and the opportunity to play with other children. The garden, play things and the pool were big hits with the children! We had stayed a similar cluster of gites with a pool in France before but it was the added touches that made La Garenne special: whilst we wanted to spend time with our children, it was nice to escape for lunch as a couple when the once-a-week kids club was on; the weekly barbecue was a great chance to socialise for both the adults and kids and the food was fantastic; the weekly pottery painting session went down well with the children; and the adults appreciated the delicious cooked meals that you can order and have delivered to your gite a couple of nights a week. Dorte and Richard made us feel very welcome and were always happy to offer advice on places to go and things to do. Rating 5 out of 5, Ross, Jul 2012.
- Perhaps the best thing i can say is that after two days (of our weeks holiday)all my 3 children were saying could we come back to La Garenne next year. The answer is an unequivocal YES! The setting is wonderful, the houses clean and comfortable, great mixture of other guests all of whom had kids which made it very relaxing for me as a single parent as my lot just ran off and played and turned up at mealtimes! Dorte and Richard are wonderful hosts and run a wonderful ploace. Rating 5 out of 5, Steve, Jun 2012.
- We stayed in La Maison Belle which was in immaculate condition, spacious and very comfortable. We were travelling with younger children (3&1) and it was a very safe and welcoming environment for them. We especially liked the provision of baby equipment for our youngest and loved that they could provide a proper cot and mattress rather than our daughter having to sleep in a travel cot. Richard, Dorte and their boys were fantastic hosts. They made us feel very at home the whole time we were with them. The kids thoroughly enjoyed the playground, swimming pool and toys that were provided. Our eldest also had a great time at the kids club both weeks we stayed. The weekly BBQ was also very enjoyable. It was great to socialise with the other families and the food was fantastic. Even though we did not order the delivered to your door meals the menus looked very tasty and good value for money. We stayed for two weeks and there was plenty to do in the area. Particular highlights for us were the aquarium in La Rochelle. Rating 4 out of 5, Gayle, Jul 2012.
- We had a wonderful family holiday at La Garenne. A long driveway up to gates of the farm house opened up into a kiddies paradise! The grounds are safe and secure with the swimming pool gated the children have free run to all the games and equipment. The accommodation was great with large doors opening out onto the green so you could watch the children from inside or on the patio. It caters for children of all ages who are kept amused and entertained all day long. Dorte and her family are so welcoming and introduced us to other families staying there. A fantastic welcome evening bbq was particularly good especially the vegetarian catering. We booked to return in 2012 before leaving and the children helped us chose the gite we will stay in next year. Rating 4 out of 5, Fi, Aug 2011.
- We had a very enjoyable week in La Garenne mid september. The gite itself is nicely presented and the area, although very rural, was fun to explore. Dorte and Richard made us feel very welcome. We made use of Dorte's offer to cook on a couple of occasions and were not disappointed! We were however disappointed with some of the facilities at La Garenne. In the gite we had a broken toaster and no cafetiere, although Dorte found us a cafetiere when asked. There was no mat for the bath or for the bathroom floor which became treacherously slippery when wet - our 2 year old took a couple of fairly hard tumbles. We has booked the holiday on the basis of some of the reviews we'd read which suggested it was very family friendly. We found, however, that the facilites we wanted to use with our 2 year old son were tatty and often broken: The baby swing in the garden was broken and unsafe to use; the Little Tikes car that our son would have loved to play in was also broken. Most of the toys looked as though they had seen better days. Rating 3 out of 5, Nikki, Sept 2011. Owners response - thank you for your feedback, we always take this sort of feedback very seriously and strive to do better, we will ensure all of your issues are addressed as all we want is for all of our guests to have a most enjoyable family holiday with us.
- We have just returned from a fantastic fortnight at La Garenne. The setting is perfect, the gites are gorgeous stone cottages that look like they could be a film set for a period drama and the interiors are great too and mix practicality with french style to get effect. Dorte and Richard are great hosts always on hand to offer advice on where to go for a good meal or the following days weather forecast. The best part really though was the child friendly environment. We could let out 7 and 5 year old wander off in a really safe idyllic setting and when they're given that freedom we get a little bit of freedom too! Many thanks Dorte and Richard! Rating 5 out of 5, Julie, Nelle and Charlie's mum, Aug 2011.
- We stayed at La Garenne for 2 weeks this summer and had a wonderful time. It is perfect for families as the pool and play area are safe, and children have the freedom to run about and play. Richard and Dorte are really friendly and helped provide lots of advice as to where to go and what to do. The gites are all very individual and very nicely decorated and the location of the gite complex is fantastic - surrounded by sunflowers so it is a real escape to the country. We thoroughly enjoyed our trip to La Garenne and would also recommend the kids club and Dorte's cooking! A really easy and relaxing holiday in a lovely location with great hosts. We hope to return! Rating 5 out of 5, Rachel, Aug 2011.
- It was the first time we had visited France so we were very much looking forward to it. Thankfully it didn't disappoint. La Garenne was exactly what we needed. The Gittes are essentially set in their own little complex which means that the kids could run wild with complete safety. As there were other Gittes, there were also other kids to play with. After a few days we would invariably go looking for them in other people's Gittes, it was just that friendly. The pool was great, being secured via a fence to stop the kids getting in without adult supervision. In addition to this the owners, Richard and Dorte, were always on hand to help or give advice for days out. I could go on and on but we will definitely be going back at some point in the future. Rating 5 out of 5, Peter, Aug 2011.
- The gite complex is comfortable and clean and has excellent facilities. It had outdoor pool (in use practically all day!), trampolene and play equipment. It was a perfect location for family holidays especially if travelling with other families. Dorte and Richard were fantastic hosts and always on hand to give advice on where to go and how to get there. I would highly recommend this complex and although there is plenty to do on site, there were also lovely places in the locality to visit. The only minor downside is it was at least an hour from the nearest beach. Rating 4 out of 5, Sharmila, Jul 2011.
- Our 2nd holiday at La Garenne with our 3.5 years old and the 1st time ever we are going back to the same place. Amazing holiday! The gites are spacious, very nicely decorated and have dishwasher, coffee maker, big fridge/freezer, TV & DVD. The facilities for the children are out of this world: slides, swings, bikes, skate boards, balloons, trampoline, toys for all ages, swimming pool & baby pool, books, DVDs. We did not bring a toy with us - absolutely no need. All the gites overlook the playground area, all the kids usually play together while the parents sit outside reading a book or sipping wine. Dorte (the owner) runs a kids club once a week & babysits in the evening. Together with her husband they organise a BBQ once a week with all the guests and she prepares delicious home-made meals twice a week so it's heaven for the parents. So much to do & see in Charentes for both kids & adults: islands (Re & Aix), beaches, aquarium, zoo, castles, distilleries, etc... We have now spent 3 weeks there over 2 years, fabulous. Rating 5 out of 5, Olivia, Jul 2011
- La Garenne really fulfilled our expectations in providing an extremely enjoyable and relaxing holiday for us and our 6 year old son. The layout and facilities were highly suited to us all being able to let our son have a degree of freedom in playing with the many toys and on the play equipment, either on his own or with the many new friends he met. 'A watchful eye' from us was easy to maintain given the open layout and exterior seating and it really is hard to remember previous years where we have felt 'on alert' all day. The 'gite' we had was fantastic, very open, light and roomy and it was a pleasure to cook and eat either inside or out. The welcome BBQ was delightful and delicious and a good ice-breaker for all. We also took advantage of the option of delicious 3-course dinners, cooked and delivered by our hosts. The location in Ferrieres is peaceful and idyllic but the ample shops and attractions are still so easy to reach. Many thanks to Dorte and Richard for a wonderful holiday - all three of us are now big fans and will certainly be back. Rating 5 out of 5, Mike, Fiona and Neil, July 2011.
- Amazing place - we never thought it possible to have a relaxing holiday with a 3 year old and a baby in tow but we did! Beautiful location - sunflower fields all around - beautiful accommodation with everything we needed for the baby. The owners supplied all baby essentials even down to nappies and wipes on arrival and a hand held blender for all those purees! The gites all look onto a safe enclosed garden which had loads of ride on toys, train sets, slides, swings and of course a lovely pool and baby pool (totally safe and fenced off). We could open our door in the morning and let the wee one run out to play whilst we got on with tidying up etc. In the evenings once the kiddies were asleep we took advantage of the home cooked 3 course meals service delivered to your gite (beautiful standard) and we relaxed outside with many a glass of wine enjoying the sunshine. Thoroughly recommend this holiday to anyone with kids. Rating 5 out of 5, Claire, Jun 2011.
- We had a fabulous 2 week holiday at La Garenne in June 2011. The weather wasn't brilliant but that didn't spoil it. I didn't imagine a 2 week holiday with a 2.5 year old and 1.5 year old could be relaxing but this was. Dorte, Richard and the boys were very welcoming. The barbeque and meals delivered to the gite were delicious and the whole set up made you feel at ease. The children loved the play area and made great friends that they still talk about now. Loads to see and do in the area and Dorte gave excellent recommendations. I would definitely recommend a holiday here. Rating 4.5 out of 5, Helen, Jun 2011.
- We came with our two boys (2 & 4) on the recommendation of friends and had a great holiday. Everything is set up to make holidaying with young children as easy as possible from the availability of bed guards and stair gates to arrival meals and the welcome barbecue. Great advice from Dorte and Richard as well as from other guests on where to go and what to do with the kids when we could tear them away from their new found friends by the pool. I've already recommended La Garenne to other families. Rating 5 out of 5, Fran, Jun 2011.
- Fantastic location, hosts, child-friendly atmosphere and beautiful part of the world - easy accessible and well directed too, great produce...most relaxing holiday with kids in 6 years! Rating 4.5 out of 5, Marie, Jun 2011.
- This is a great location for a family holiday and the enclosed grounds make the property particulary suitable for young children (ours are 1,4 and 7). We stayed here in early June and while the weather could have been better we still found plenty to do around the grounds and within a manageable drive without remotely exhausting the long list of options Dorte and Richard can provide. We stayed in La Belle Maison which was comfortable and stylish with plenty of space. Dorte, Richard and their boys make hosting look easy! Rating 5 out of 5, Catherine, Jun 2011.
- Just had our second holiday at La Garenne and can't praise it highly enough. We have two pre school children they both loved it. On both visits it's been the only time I've read a book cover to cover in a week since having kids it was that relaxing. This year we only did one trip out in the week as we had so much fun in the pool and with the other guests, there is however a wealth of attractions to visit nearby if you want to but why move when you get a week this relaxing with two kids!! Rating 5 out of 5, Catherine, Jun 2011.
- Very easy holiday in a charming setting with loads to see and do. Whilst at the gite the kids had a ball whilst we could relax in total confidence that they were safe and happy. within an hour or two's drive, all directions, there was a wealth of things to do and see. Definitely take up the offer of supper delivered to your gite - DELICIOUS! Rating 4 out of 5, Lorna, Sep 2010.
- This was the second time I and my family spent our holidays in La Garenne, France. I would strongly recommend this destination for families. La Garenne offers surrounds that we found to be peaceful relaxing and safe especially for younger children. The B.B.Q. held once a week gives families the opportunity to get to know each other. It also offers the facility of authentic french cuisine to be freshly cooked and deliveried to you (which we found to be great) and pottery classes for the kids was also great. They also hold a kids club once a week which gives mummy and daddy time to enjoy the fine restaurants near-by. The hosts Dorte, Richard and family will make your trip and stay extra special with the friendly advise and help they offer. We will be returning. Rating 5 out of 5, Mary Darren & family Ireland, Sep 2010.
- We spent 2 weeks at La Garenne at the end of August with our children aged 6 and 8, and young baby. It is situated in a beautiful rural setting surrounded by vineyards and sunflower fields, yet is only a short drive to the nearest small town where there is a supermarket, newsagent, bars and a restaurant. La Garenne has all the facilities you need and our children would have been quite happy not venturing from the gite for the whole holiday. They made loads of friends with the other children staying there and really enjoyed the company of Oscar and Oliver, the children of owners Richard and Dorte. There are loads of possibilities for outings within a short drive of La Garenne. Bread and other essentials are available daily from a van that stops directly outside and you can also order delicious freshly-made meals to be delivered to your gite. We had a fantastic holiday. Rating 5 out of 5, Andrew, Sep 2010.
- Beautiful setting, great hosts and lovely relaxing environment. Perfect for children and parents. A great formula for a family holiday. Rating 5 out of 5, Jo, Sept 2010.
- We can't recommend this gite complex highly enough. The setting is stunningly beautiful, amid sunflowers and fields of corn, there is no traffic, no noise from planes...in fact the only noise you'll hear is that of your kids having a brilliant time. The large gated grounds are so safe, and filled with rope swings, slides, a trampoline, table tennis and toys for all ages, plus a seperately fenced in pool. All of the gites are beautifully decorated in Scandi/French farmhouse style with really comfortable beds and crisp white linen. The Hobson family welcome everyone like old friends and are a mine of information on the local region with fantastic advice on which days out suit which age children and exactly how far away things are. Even the dog and cat are a delight! There are lovely woodland walks, a great welcome BBQ, a weekly kids club and a charming local town with a weekly market. What more could you want?! Rating 5 out of 5, Jo, Aug 2010.
- If you have young children then you'll know that if the children have a good holiday then you'll have one to. This was our third summer at La Garenne and, once again, it was just great. This girls had loads of fun making friends, learning to ride bikes, mastering the rope swing, inventing games on the trampoline and (kind of) swimming in the pool. Which meant that us adults could sit back in the shade and relax - marvellous. A highly recommended destination for families with children under 10 or so. Rating 5 out of 5, Mark, Aug 2010.
- This is a charming location with good facilities for all the family. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay. Dorte and Richard are great hosts and the welcome BBQ evening is a fun way to start the week and meet other families. We enjoyed the additional facility of home cooked meals delivered to your gite which was a welcome break from cooking! Rating 5 out of 5, Trevor & Nicki, July 2010.
- We have just had our 5th holiday and have already booked our 6th. We had a fantastic time and for the first time went tree climbing with our 4 and 5 year old - the smallest course is just 1 metre high and they go up from there. Roll on next year. Rating 5 out of 5, Lucilla & James (yes, editor), July 2010.
- A simply lovely relaxing family holiday (yes I did say relaxing with kids!). La Garenne is a lovely setting with warm and friendly hosts providing clean and pretty accomodation. We visited La Garenne after recommendation from friends and have already booked for 2011 having had such a wonderful time. There are only a small number of gites so it is never too busy and you get to know all the families staying with you. The security gives you peace of mind to know the children are safe playing while you cook dinner or relax with a glass of wine. There is lots of things to do/visit providing you drive to La Garenne or hire a car and we enjoyed lovely trips out combined with relaxing round the pool. Rating 5 out of 5, Meg, Jun 2010.
- La Garenne is a great place for a family holiday. The gites are all very nice and well equipped, with cots, highchairs etc provided if required. The children have loads of fun playing in the garden, there are lots of toys and it is safe. You can sit on your patio while they play with their new friends. The welcome bbq is great fun, Dorte and Richard are superb hosts and you get to know your neighbours. The welcome meal on arrival is a great idea and the fact that you can have your meal delivered in the evening is just superb, it means you can relax and don't need to cook every night. There is loads to do in the surrounding area if you want a day out or just a walk in the fields and woods is also very nice. Our daughter really enjoyed the kids club too. Needless to say, we are returning this summer for our third holiday. Rating 5 out of 5, Joanne, Jan 2010.
- This is a family friendly location - a lovely setting which is safe for children. Richard and Dorte are great hosts. They can provide all the necessary things you need for holidaying with children - cots, baths, high chairs etc. which makes travelling a lot easier. The ideal place for a relaxing holiday with easy access to lots of attractions and places to visit. Facilities are excellent with a pool and a baby pool as well as swings, trampolines and slides. Rating 5 out of 5, Caroline, Nov 2009.
- I would recommend this property for it's location in beautiful tranquil countryside, the beautiful setting, the right number of gites - not too large and not too small. The villa's are beautifully and stylishly presented all with their own character, complete with all mod cons, clean and spacious. The Grounds are perfect for children lots of space and safe. The pools are perfect for children not to deep and this year the addition of a baby pool. Rating would have to be 5 out of 5 as our 4th visit booked for next summer. Andrea, Oct 2009.
- La Garenne is a place that is well geared up for families. The Gites are all set around a lawned play area and the pool so it's easy to keep an eye on the little ones whilst you relax. The Gites themselves have everything you should need and have been recently updated. The hosts, Dorte and Richard are very welcoming and go out of their way to help. There is a welcome barbeque, baby sitting and freshly cooked meals delivered to your gite 3 nights a week so no need to slave over a hot stove if you don't want to! Can't recommend it highly enough. Rating 5 out of 5. James, Oct 2009
- The safest, most family orientated, friendly and peaceful place ever, to spend a family holiday. Perfect for those who like to relax whilst knowing the children are playing safely in the massive garden, which is stocked with table tennis, trampoline, jungle gym, climbing trees, and a huge assortment of toys. The front of the property has another massive garden with a football pitch and volleyball/badminton net. There is an endless array of country lanes to walk around in, (we loved the hazelnuts and berries) sunflower fields everywhere and absolutely no traffic. There is also a swimming pool with pool toys. My children loved the family pets, especially Chianti the cat. There are plenty of opportunities for day trips, we particularly enjoyed a visit to Cognac and to the beach. Dorte & Richard are very welcoming, friendly and happy to help with any query you might have. The Gites are well stocked for everything you might need and there is a fantastic local catering company which for a very reasonable price, deliver home cooked fabulous food to your table for you. This is a wonderful service as with children, its not always easy to go out for something to eat and it's nice not to have to cook. There is a feeling of tranquility and calm in La Garenne and its a place I would highly recommend to anyone with children looking for a safe place to holiday where Mums and Dads can relax too. Rating 5 out of 5, Marie, Oct 2009.
- We returned to La Garenne this year for the second time and have already booked up for next summer. Dorte and Richard (not forgetting the kids and Meg)are great hosts and have gone to great lengths to provide a wonderful location for a holiday. There is plenty to do in the surrounding area or alternatively just let the kids run around the garden. They'll soon make friends and you can sit back and relax, perfect!! Rating 5 out of 5, Alex, Oct 2009.
- Great set up. The kids had a fantastic time playing in the beautiful gardens and they could have a lot of freedom to play with their new friends. They loved the trampoline, the swings and the swimming pool. Dorte and Richard are very welcoming and helpful. We liked the way that fellow guests were sociable but also gave us space and privacy. The weekly barbeque for all the guests was great fun with the local wine flowing and the kids running around having fun. The 3 course meals which you can have delivered to your property were superb. The weekly kids club gave us the chance to escape for a grown up lazy lunch. Rating 5 out of 5, Vivienne, Oct 2009.
- Everything you want for a relaxing holiday with children. Plenty to keep them entertained, they are safe , there is kids club once a week which they loved and you can have some time to yourselves, there is babysitting, the welcome BBQ is good fun getting to know everyone catering service a big plus where you can have food delivered to your gite and enjoy when the children have gone to bed. There is lots to see and do for all ages in and around the surrounding area. The gites are clean and have everything that you need for a young family. Richard, Dorte and the boys are great hosts and we are already booked for our third year. Rating 5 out of 5, Heather, Oct 2009.
- We have had so many fantastic holidays at La Garenne and we still go every year, I cannot recommend it highly enough - Rating 5 out of 5, Lucilla (yes, site editor!) Sept 2009
- We first stayed at La Garenne for 1 wk in 2009 after I read a recommendation on the internet. We liked it so much we came back for 2 weeks in 2010 and brought friends along too. We are so glad we did. The kids (age 3 and 5) had a ball again and we managed to have a relaxing holiday again! La Garenne is very well run by Dorte and Richard who treat you like friends. They are always on hand to answer any questions and to offer suggestions for days out in the area. We enjoyed it so much that we booked again for next year!! I wouldn't hesitate in recommend it to others! Rating 5 out of 5, Victoria, Jun 2009
Holiday Cottage Accommodation Summary (FR001) (click here for map)
|Sleeps||Bedrooms||Bathrooms||Pets||RFH rating||Other facilities||Price Guide|
up to 6
2 to 3
1 to 2
|Click to visit owner's website for more info, availability & online booking||Dorte on (0033)(0) 546 586985, please mention RFH||Email owner by clicking on icon|
Holiday accommodation available is as follows:
Contact the owner directly via the form or click to book online
For up to date holiday availability, please click link below
Make an enquiry DIRECT to the owner of these holiday cottages.
|use arrows to check months, shaded red shows all holiday gites already booked|
|2 bedroom holiday cottage||3 bedroom holiday cottage|